I about had a disaster today!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by geogunn, Aug 16, 2001.

1. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

While passing through a four foot gate today with the ole lesco 48 I had to negotiate between a landscaped bed and a wood pile.

something went wrong and the side of the lesco deck caught the side of a chunk of fire wood and turned hard left. fortunately the blade was not engaged!

as it turned left, the deck climbed the pile and the handlebars dug into the dirt.

no way was I able to control this thing so I turned loose of it and let it go.

to my astonishment, when I turned loose of the handles the motor did not die, NOR, would the key switch work!

the blamed thing kept digging and crawling into the wood pile.

I finally got it stopped by choking the motor.

to make this long story short, I found the ground wire to the engine disconected. none of the engine killing devices would work without this connection.

it coudda been lot worse. somebody coudda been hurt today by accident!

GEO

2. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I always check each week stuff like that. If not then what you went through can and will happen. Glad you or anyone else was not hurt.

3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i'l say you did!

4. Fortunatly the way my Exmarks are wired they wont start unless all safty switches are working. But my Lesco 36" has no safty's left on it and the way it is wired sucks. It's to easy to curcumvent, all you have to do is disconect the wire from the switch and you have defeated the OPC system. So if any wires become disconected or broken it will still work.

Keep 'em safe LGF:blob1:

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

GLAD YOU WERENT HURT GEOGUN . sounds like something that would happen to me.LATER TM

6. geogunn

from TN

HOMBRE! am I sore today from fighting that thing yesterday! it will probably be worse tomorrow.

:)

LGF--I don't feel that the lesco is poorly wired even though I had a safety switch fubar.

they do work but the one wire came appart at a plug connection.

in the event that the mower wont start, I'd rather have a unit that starts easily by unhooking the devices so that I could find the problem rather than a unit that you can't diagnose the problem because you can't tell if it's the ignition module or a safety switch gone on the fritz.

as for defeating the safety switches, the mower can't be faulted for that. it's like seat belts. some people will survive a crash and some wont because they are smarter than the seat belt.

GEO

7. CLARKE

CLARKE LawnSite Member

I HAD A LESCO VIPER ONCE AND ONLY ONCE, AFTER 1 SEASON OF
    NOTHING BUT BAD LOOKING CUTS AND THING AFTER THING
    GOING WRONG I SOLD THE DAMN THING BACK TO THEM AT A
    $15.00.00 LOST OF COURSE. FOR MORE IMFO ON THE BAD LUCK
    I HAD WITH MY LESCO CONTACK ME OFF LIST AT IMRL393WEST@AOL.COM...... :alien: :angry: :eek:

8. geogunn

from TN

clark--thanks for that chime in.

surely you aren't equating your bad lesco viper experience with my having a ground wire becoming un-hooked on my lesco walk behind?

GEO