i aerated whats next?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by cwmiller928, Apr 5, 2006.

1. cwmiller928

cwmiller928 LawnSite Member

I aerated this really hard packed yard.(my yard) grass just wont grow. its kind of shaded but not that bad. I thought i should lay some seed then maybe some turf builder. Am i thinking right? what process should i use? this is my first time with aeration. thanks guys.

2. cwmiller928

somebody please?? i have no clue what to do next?

3. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

Top dress with some good loam 1/4 - 1/2 inch, seed, throw in some peat, rake it in, lightly roll(don't use water in the roller) then spread the fert with crabgrass preventor(make sure it's the one you can use with new seed) And water twice a day lightly for 2-3 weeks. Buy enough seed so you can overseed in the fall. and keep the birds from eating the seed.

4. wski4fun

Should of said first to do a soil test and run it over with a power rake if you can. If it's to compacted maybe go so far as to rototill it. Not sure how compacted your lawn is.

5. cwmiller928

what is the best loam? and peat to use?

6. wski4fun

Loam from a supply yard. Or compost is probably better. Peat is peat as far as I'm concerned.

7. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

Well if its badly compacted, aerate it 3-4 times then seed, topdress if yo uhave access to a grounds finish top dresser with organic compost and try a good starter fert low in nitrogen. I wouldnt worry about pre emergent they scare me with new seed. a 12-24-12 or even wonder gro makes a nice 13-13-13 for starter lawns, then roll to plant seeds on top into the plugs . we did 15 rennovations last week and they should come up fine. I do agree about the soil test with wski check ph and nitrogen and also salts are important

8. wski4fun

I think the pre-m has turpisan(sp) which can be used on new seed. I've only seen a few yds done with this but they all came up. It is more expensive but a nice insurance. Ever heard of it being used?

9. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Can you take a pic of your lawn for us:confused: That would help!!!

10. cwmiller928

i'll deffinatly try to get a pic up here pretty soon. thanks guys for the responces. I'll get some pix and we can go from there.