I Aint Gonna Sign No Contract !!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by befnme, Dec 1, 2005.

1. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

so i get a call the other day a guy wants a price to demolition a pond project of his and fill it in . i go over and give him a price and he says to go ahead and do it . so i tell him that we have to sign a contract to protect both of us . he reads over it and says "i have a clause to where if i have to hire a lawyer i can collect atty fees and that that aint right" . then goes on to tell me that he wrote contracts for the govt for like 30 years and he will not sign one . i also told him i needed a deposit and he said"there aint no way he is going to give a perfect stranger a deposit ".but he says"he will pay me in full when done". so i say to my self yeh right i have been through that song and dance before and i aint gonna do it again . so i left never to return . and no matter what i aint gonna extend credit without a contract and deposit . oh well .

2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a good move to me.

3. lawnsbyrj

lawnsbyrj LawnSite Member

smart move
    I need a contract to make sure i make truck payments.

4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

What ever happened to the "hand-shake"? ? ?

5. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

their hand slipped from my hand into my pocket ...... never again ...

6. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i had a old bat do that to me so i told him got to h*&^% and flicked him off as i left. i will never get hosed again. fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me.

7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

actions like that just make you as bad as them.

be direct, stand your ground, but please be professional.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I think he did the right thing as well...
    It would be one thing for a 50-100 dollar job but from the sound of things it appears it was considerably more than that.

But yes, I am also learning... Just be nice and get out of there as easy as you can, then just never return.

Far as the handshake, that's all I do but when I get a funny feeling about things OR if the job costs a lot then I have to have half the money upfront. When they squawk that tune about 'not to a perfect stranger' then my attitude is real simple:
    You don't trust me?
    Good bye.

I mean:
    - They DID call me because of a 3-thousand dollar ad, even if they don't know the cost.
    - I DID drive up in my car (usually) and they CAN read the plates, it is LOCAL.
    - I DO live here and have lived mostly here since 1982.

Far as a business I been around for 4 full years, not my fault they've never heard of me...
    I sure raised cane to try and be heard back in the days, so if they missed it, oh well ...

Last but not least, after 4 years it is no longer MY job to prove myself to them - It is THEIR job to prove themselves to ME.
    I know what I'm about, it's THEM I'm not so sure about somedays.