1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

i aint paying like that

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 13, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

he calls, and wants the beds mulched. i go over with my wheel, measure it, and tell him $975, for double ground root mulch. he wants to see a sample of the product. i make the trip back to show him. he shows his wife, they call me that night, he likes it. i tell him one day this week, i'll call the night before to let him know when. i call tonight, tell him tommorow morning, starting around 8, finishing around noon. will there be anyone home? no? ok, leave me a check in the mailbox. he says no way, he wants to see the job before he pays for it. i tell him to post date the check, but i need one in my hand when i'm finished. he refuses to leave a check, telling me, i can stop back saturday to get paid. what do u do?
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Change the work day to one you can be happy with where he is home and you can get paid.
  3. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

What did you do after he refused you numerous times?

Im sure Ill go through it sooner or later.
  4. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

Try and work it to where you are finished when he is home, so you can get the check on the spot, without EXTENDING CREDIT to him.
  5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Start at two or so, by the time you are done he should be home from work. He will see the job, write a check, have a nice life.
  6. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

7. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Do you get paid everyday by every mowing customer too?
  8. Get him to sign a work order before starting. That'll give you the security you need.
    You gotta see his point. I wouldn't leave a check for somebody before they even started work.... Well I'm lying. I did ONCE but I'll never do it again.

9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Just hit him with the shovel now. Just get it over with before it starts. :rolleyes:
  10. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

do you have a binding contract ? why not get a deposit ? atleast enough to cover materials that way if he refuses to pay , atleast you can recoupe your materials cost . sounds like he is gonna skrew you on it .