I almost crashed a party

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David Haggerty, Jan 22, 2002.

1. My son had a computer LAN party last weekend.
    Eight of his friends computers networked together to play "Ghost Recon" and eat pizza all weekend.

He lives in an apartment over the garage. Even though the garage has a separate 200 amp service, the lights dim in there when the air compressor starts. The lights in the house dim when I weld.

He complained so much about the power, that we got him a battery back up last Christmas.

His computer was on battery back up, but we had nothing like that for his guests.

I was down in the garage, servicing the mowers. I spotted a crack in one of the decks. I had the crack all ground out, and my hand was in motion to strike the arc when I caught myself. I'd have crashed probably thousands of dollars worth of programming if I'd struck that arc!

I'm pretty computer ignorant, but that would have been more than just ignorant. I think the eight of them would have whipped my butt!

Anybody else have a close call like that?

Dave

Here's a pic of his party

doug's lan.jpg

2. David

Take a look at one of them monitors looks like one's doing something besides gameing on that one:D

3. Yup sure is looking at some girly pic.

And that reminds me, I had better not weld anymore on the curcit the PC's are on.

4. Clint

Clint LawnSite Member
    from Texas

ones playing quake, ones playing tactical ops and the other is too dark, ones surfing the net ( looks like morpheus ) and the other isnt doing anything, now the pr0n looking one is just the background! and besides.. i think thats a chick!

~your computer analyzer,
    Clint
    ;)

5. Yup, found her in another pic.

Sorry about the picture quality on the other post.
    I should have redone it.

Dave

lan coke girl.jpg

6. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

age? status?

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Dave, I like your signature! That's a good one.

Jonathan

8. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

To properly set up power supply to computers, you should have a separate circuit for computers and peripherals to plug into. This circuit also should have a separate ground, not the common ground for the rest of the building. The orangeish receptacles you see in newer office buildings are these separate circuits, reserved for computers and sometimes other delicate electronic devices.

9. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Oh, for the good old days when kids got together on the weekends for beer and trash talk. Kind of nice to see that things have changed for the better in some cases.

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Don't get me wrong, I play Ghost Recon myself and love it, but that has to be about the nerdiest "party" I've ever heard of. LOL ! "computer game party at the folks' house! whoo hoo!"

The saving grace here is that there is actually a girl in one of the pictures, and a seductive looking female on one of the PC monitors : )