I almost have everything to start...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by KB Klippers, May 18, 2006.

1. KB Klippers

KB Klippers LawnSite Member

I am new to the business. I basically wanted a zeroturn to mow my property faster. I came across a 2006 Kubota ZG23 with 5.5 hours for 6 grand and couldn't pass it up. I thought "I will mow on the side to pay for the equipment and stop"

Well, I have the Kubota, bought a 6x10 single axle. I have a business license and licensed the trailer. I am in the process of getting my insurance. I bought a small Husky backpack (490 cfm) blower, and bought a new 21" 3-way troybuilt with a 5.5 hp Honda. I have a small echo trimmer to get started with. I will get a straight shaft later.

I began posting flyers at post offices and gas stations today. I have an ad in the paper as well. I can't wait till my first call! It is a gamble. There are a lot of people in this business around Owensboro, KY. My dad is going to pass out some black and white's in his neighborhood. I hope I get enough to stay busy for at least 1 eight hour day. I work 4 on/4 off.

If anyone can think of anything I left out, let me know. I am excited, but at the same time I am kind of scared. It is a pretty big investment. I am not afraid of hard work, and am a pretty good people person. I can also mow a darn beautiful lawn!

KB

2. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I officially don't like Echo anymore. I bought the back pack blower and when it started the pull cord snaped out of my hand and broke the choke switch. (cheap plastic crap)

I bought the echo trimmer SRM 210 and the plastic safety button thing broke. Not sure how even, I layed it on the grass and went I went to pick it up it was on the grass. I have only a silver left that I need to press down on so I can engage the trimmer. Cheap plastic crap.

Niether of these things ever start on the first pull either. Usually the trimmer if it catches for a split sec. I have to turn the choke off then it will start.

Another lesson learned for me was that a back pack blower is a pain in the a**. It may have been helpful during the spring clean up/ power rake season but for general lawn care I'm thinking of buying a hand held, I think that would be much easier to manage.

3. guven

guven LawnSite Member

You are good to go, I have been mowing lawn almost 2 years I still do not have equipmant like you have now.I started with 15 years old 21'' sears mower ,yard man trimmer and brush.I did not have car, I was using my wife's cherokee.then I bought old toyota Pickup .
    I mean you are really good now. start mowing, Good luck

4. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds as if you have a good plan.

5. Freddy_Kruger

I'll give you a tip that I learned a couple weeks ago, buy your plastic bags at a janitorial supply place. They are much cheaper (by about a third) and much better quality. I WAS buynig them at Home Depot, not now though.

6. MTAYLORFFP

MTAYLORFFP LawnSite Member

I had the same thing happen to my trimmer, the plastic thing just broke off, no idea how??? Bad part is only 5 days old and only had used it on 3 yards!! Home cheapo gave me crap about taking it back so i officially dont like them anymore either!!:hammerhead:

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

wow, very good start there, you seem to have everything in order that you need to get going!

FREDDY_KRUGER- I have both a handheld and backpack blower for that reason that backpacks are a life saver on the cleanups but are gass guzzlers and aren't worth using durring the mowing season on small residential blowing after mowing work.

8. Freddy_Kruger

Yeah Home Cheapo, lol.

I can't fault my home depot too much when I brought in my blower they wanted to send it away but I only have one so they accomadated me right away by taking the choke assembly off of a display model and fixed mine right there.

I'm not sure what to do about the trimmer though, I might take it apart and just mod it so I don't need to press any safety switch down. btw, only half of the plastic lever is actually used to connect. I can't believe that, it's 3/4 of an inch wide but they only use half of that to actually attach it, and that's exactly where it broke.

9. Freddy_Kruger

Excellent, you gave me a 2nd good reason to get a hand held, gus guzzlers. I seen a lawn guy to day with a echo hand held and I envied him, lol.

10. yankeesdood16

yankeesdood16 LawnSite Member

I have a bolens string trimmer and the throttle broke off. It still works because it broke right at the base so theres a piece of plastic sticking out that I use to start it and to gas it when it has trouble in thicker grass. I dont throttle it unless I need to. I still have the weed eater that I use for trimming around the house and thats lasted a few years now. The bolens I only use to do my other yards. The weed eater I've used every few days for the last few years and I only throttle that when I need to, it cuts fine when I dont and the bolens that I just got a couple weeks ago does too. When you only throttle the string trimmer when needed it saves of life of the trimmer, especially the coiled wire thing inside the shaft that makes the end turn. A friend of my parents has a homelite trimmer and the coiled wire broke from throttling it too much and hitting stuff with the trimmer, he had to buy a new trimmer last year.