I almost lost my foot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chop Stuff Up, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

Usually I use the sulky when mowing but I get on this lawn and the pin breaks at the weld (crappy pin) and I do notice it before the whole thing falls off the mower. I put the sulky back on the truck and start mowing again. I was doing the edge of a concrete patio, making the turn at the edge of it, and the whole patio is on a hill. My foot slipped on the wet grass coming around the turn and I fell right on my ass, and my left foot slid right under the deck. Pretty scary. You guys ever have something scary like this happen?
  2. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a bobcat 48 in 1994 and cleverly removed that safety stuff on the handlebars that shuts the mower off.

In 2005, I'm mowing this hill which is slanted down to the left, and also the poined downhill, with tall weeds and woods on the low edge of the hill. First time mow. I'm on the velke in 1st gear. Nice and slow. The left wheel fell into a pot hole that was hidden by the weeds. So the mower movement stops abrubtly, and I go sailing right over the handlebars, with the blades spinning at 3600 rpm. My chest lands on the blade deck as the mower starts spinning around. The left wheel was stuck in the hole, and the right wheel was spinning the mower around counter clockwise. So I land on the blade deck with my legs swung over to the left side of the mower. Mower continues spinning around with me on it. Mower spun 180 degrees, then stopped moving because of the hill, the right wheel started spinning in place because of lack of traction.

So I stand up, in considerable pain, with the mower still running and blades still spinning. I was lucky -- it could have been a lot worse. This is the worst near-disaster I've ever experienced.

Funny -- I got a big bruise on my left nipple, and my whole left chest swelled up. The left side of my chest looked like a woman's breast for about two weeks.
  3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Wet grass and hills ............. Be carefull guys
  4. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Years ago my father owned a Lock reel mower was like a 72" cut. Well i was cutting on wet grass with boots on and was making a turn and slipped, my foot went right in the back side of the reel and started to drag me right along. Some how i reached up and pulled the clutch down to stop the mower and then stopped the blades. Chewed my boot some but i was lucky. Safetys switches on machine are a good thing.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

With a screen name like yours I figure you are just playing the part! Just kidding. I am glad you are OK. Stuff happens real quick when it goes bad. You seldom hear people say, I saw that coming.
    Yes I too had a brush with near severe injury but a guardian angel watched me that time.
  6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

You guys are lucky you didnt lay down on the muffler or any other extremely hot area of the engine. Getting caught in the deck is not a good idea, thats why they have safety switches, dont remove them!
  7. stick9

stick9 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, chopstuffup ..

That's some scary stuff right there.

I've had some close calls in my day.

Personally, I'd take that as a wake-up-call and figure out ways to be safer.

That would really suck to lose a foot and I'd hate to have you live up to your name when talking about your body parts.
  8. bluflame1914

bluflame1914 LawnSite Member

had a guy that I was working with get mad and tried to pick up a parking lot blower and put it on the trailer after using it. the muffler was right on his stomach. had a pink ring on his stomach for a couple of weeks.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Almost had a 61" Hydro WB run over me with the blades engaged...no reliving that story lol.
  10. ok4me2xlr8

ok4me2xlr8 LawnSite Member

I have ran from my kees walk behind I dont have it anymore it had a mind of its own!!!