1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

i am 8 mo. pregant is this application program safe for me?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, Mar 29, 2003.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i had a client ask me this....

how would you have responded to this question?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Wow! Here I was just about to tell you congratulations!:p To answer the question, I would simply answer.
    "Yes. The products we use have been tested and are available to the public market, and in our case, are used at such minimal rates, there is really no risk of danger. When used in accordance to their label, and the proper care is taken afterwards, (this is wgere you explain the part of staying off the lawn until it is completely dry, and this can take from a few to several hours depending on sun and wind conditions. You then follow up with the granular instructions that tell them they can be on it immediately - it distracts from the wet part) they are completely safe. If there ARE any further questions, you are welcome to a complete analysis of any and all ingredients used on your yard if you wish. (Here, this is required by law if they ask, anyway.) Now, if YOU have any doubts, I would CERTAINLY look into this by means of listing everything you are using, and contacting your state DOA, and have them send you this info in written documentation.
  3. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

though I agree with Runner...........

never, never say

'they are completely safe'
  4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

NO, it isn't safe for HER.

But it IS for her lawn.

Safety = Exposure X Toxicity.

I cannot imagine that you're applying anything TOO toxic now (Pre-M?) and tell her to stay off the application area.

Emphasize exposure discussion and steer away from toxicity discussion.
  5. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, I would suggest anyone that is pregnant to not have chemicals on their lawn. It is not worth the risk just to have a perfect lawn for 1 year versus a baby that could be born with defects or other minor problems that could be caused by chemicals. That includes chemicals in house including cleaners with odors, newly varnished wood,etc. Any chemical smell may hurt the fetus (baby).

I have a hard time believing all these labels on products that says a chemical is safe. It seems the EPA is always 5 - 10 years behind on banning a bad chemical that is dangerous for people.

I put granular fertizers,weed killer etc. on some of the lawns I mow and I always wear a mask while I am doing it. I will never mow a yard on the same day the customer has had another company spray the lawn with chemicals.

It is just not worth the risk.
  6. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

If that is the case as stated above, then for heavens sake, don't let her take the car to the gas station. Gasoline is a much more potent chemical than anything that we would normally use on a lawn.

Austreim landscaping
  7. DLS1

Hey dougaustreim, now your catching on. Don't let the wife fuel the tank while pregnant. You got to think of your future son or daughter. Is that to much to ask for 9 months.
  8. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I put granular fertizers,weed killer etc. on some of the lawns I mow and I always wear a mask while I am doing it.

9. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

The use of excessive protective gear that greatly exceeds the label requirements helps perpetuate the unfounded fears that people develop concerning common lawn and garden products.

I have applied these normal lawn care products to hundred of lawns every year for the past 30 years. I do not use any special protective gear. I do not wear gloves unless the weather is very cold. I find that when I wear gloves, my hands sweat a great deal and would be more likely to absorb anything that might get inside the glove than they would if I leave them bare.

I just had a physical, and my doctor told me that I am in great health and in fact am much healthier than I look. I think he was trying to be a little humorous there. The only real health concerns that I have are the precancerous lesions that I have due to overexposure to the sun and the arthritic joints that I have due to numerous breaks and sprains that I have suffered over the years. My hearing is not as good as it should be either from working with all this equipment. Thus all of the other aspects of this industry have certainly been harder on my health than the proper use of pesticides has been.

Doug A
    Austreim Landscaping
  10. DLS1

Hey dougaustreim, to each his own way of doing things. Some people may not have as good immune system to protect themselves from chemicals like you have so far. I would rather be safe than sorry. Everyone has their own levels of what they consider safe and all I can say is that mine is at a higher level than yours.

TSM, to bad you don't believe me just because you don't do it.
    I am not going to spray weed killer without a mask while that stuff is blowing in the air since some of it may blow in my lungs.