I am a collector :)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rcreech, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

When I was composting it was on a large scale.
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=2030879&postcount=6
    The pile was just leaves from our cleanup operations. When we turned it we would add some topsoil. We also had a dirt shredder and when we were "making topsoil" part of the mix would be compost. The pile was always several hundred feet long and it was kinda neat to see whole leaves on one end, then walk to the other end and it just looked like dirt.

Scott

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

NICE!!!!!

I don't have any numbers but I would love to know the value of what these piles are worth.

There is quite a bit of shrink from delivery until used (from composting)...but serious $$$$$.

Plus we don't pay a dime for the product. Our only cost is fuel and time plus a little wear and tear on our truck to haul it.

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, same where I am....can only compost material generated on your own property legally without the proper permits or being exempt. For leaves it's just a registration process. That sounds pretty simple but it could cost thousands of dollars to provide the information they require...research and plans etc.

4. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

So the gov. In Connecticut has nothing better to do than monitor people recycling leafs.......what a joke this country is becoming.

5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Yeah....

The whole world is in "recycle mode" yet won't let you compost!

LOL

The Govt needs to step back!!!!

6. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

There are a couple LCOs here that had to have thier piles removed or would have been fined. Many EPA and DEP regulations to compost. I understand runoff management is the big one.

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I can understand the concerns of run off especially if in town or where it could not be controlled.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. nik

nik LawnSite Member

rcreech,

Nice piles there. I am also envious. That stuff is beyond the price of gold in the high desert here. Do you do any disease assays in you finished product? I wonder only because some of our area businesses often sell it before it is done and things like Phytophthora seem to show up?

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Sheep poop?

10. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

Buddy of mine does this in Omaha. Makes a killing, is using for topdressing,etc. You should consider that service if u go to the trouble of composting.