I am a Ford Die Hard, But.....

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Eric ELM, Mar 9, 2001.

1. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have always had Ford trucks, except for the 47 Chevy I grew up driving. :) My brother used to work for GM and I could of bought GM products at his cost for many years. The new Duramax Chevy engine has caught my attention.

I can get 18% off what the dealer pays for it so I am thinking about this for pulling my trailer with 2 Choppers and plowing. Is this too new of a truck to buy yet or do you think there are any bugs in it to work out? I realize this is a dumb question, but I know Allison has been around for a long time, but I just wonder about the engine. I had never heard of them before now.

It's not to often I ask a question on Lawnsite, so I thank you in advance for any input on this subject. ;)

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Eric,my friend ahs had one since early december-he runs it very hard,it has been flawless so far,thats all I know as far as that goes,with a 5 yr 100K warranty,I doubt Gm would build junk that will come back to hurt them in the pocket.The Allison tranny is no slouch either.The only thing Ive heard bad about them is the beds cracking if you use a headache rack with short side rails or heavy toolboxes.If you havent driven a one-take one for a spin,it will make your 351 feel like its running on 4 cylinders-they really run great,and arent obnoixiously loud for plowing residentials.Id go for it with the discount you can get.

3. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

I would stay away from the Dmax and Allison combo for the first year at least. Not that it is a bad combo, it is just very new. That Isuzu diesel has some fairly new technology in it (like the aluminium heads) and you don't want to be a beta tester for chevy.

I would say give it a year before buying and that goes for most first year vehicles.

Eric

4. John DiMartino

They have been building production engines since august-its march-if he ordered now it would be a 2002 model,I think any noticeable problems have sufaced,if your going to wait long tern you'll need 3-5 yrs yet.Eric,look here for info,and feedback on the D-max,i go there a lot ,just to see how they are holding uo,since I am considering one myself. http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

5. oldmankent

oldmankent LawnSite Member

Eric, it is a tough decision. But, I think I might wait it out a little longer. There definitely still are bugs to be worked out with this engine. I think GM is beginning to stop this, but when something had been going wrong with the Allison or the Duramax, the dealers were just replacing it. Not fixing, but replacing. New engine. They weren't even letting the dealer mechanics give it a once over. This is a sign that there are definitely still bugs. It would be very worth your while to visit a forum for GM diesel trucks and the such as well as Ford trucks for input. The more the better I have found. Good Luck

6. John DiMartino

The practice of sending back engines and trannys is normal,they did it back in 90 when I worked for Chrysler-everyone does it to find flaws and fix them-this program is stopping very soon,since all small problems have been ironed out-it usually lasts 6 months.I dont see that as a reason not to buy the truck-the returns#'s havent been higher on this than any other new truck.The allison alone is a good reason to buy this,if you want a HD tranny,with or without the D-max.

7. oldmankent

oldmankent LawnSite Member

John, I agree with you, but as you point out, these are more short term problems, not small ones. I still think the truck, engine, tranny, drivetrain needs more proving time. After all, time will tell. Chances are, Eric would be happy with the truck. afterall, it can be fixed.

8. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

I have had mine for 6 wks now and I love the truck. It has so much power and is so smooth and comfortable. I had these same thoughts and dont usually buy things in their first year be it a mower, blower car whatever, but I'm sure they have been tested pretty thouroghly and I have yet to read one bad thing on them anywhere( I researched them as best I could before I bought it). And I said the same thing as John D. 5yrs/100,000 how can you go wrong. I'll tell you this you go drive one and right away I think you will love it. And as for towing that is where this thing is suppossed to shine although I have yet to put it to the test. But on the highway it rides like a car literally. I had my brothers 99 F250SD on the highway for a few hrs and I hated it( not to knock Ford) but it was like a fight to keep it in lane at 70-75mph. Although Im sure everyone knows how I feel because Im am in every tread that has to do with 2500hds Duramax.....

9. Mike Paulsen

Mike Paulsen LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

Eric, it sounds like the new truck bug has bit you. You might as well go and do it. It sounds like people are happy with it so far.Has a good warranty if you have problems (can get that lemon no matter if it's the trucks first year out or not),your getting a good deal on it so if your not happy your not losing a lot, if you wait for the time test on it there will be something else new that you'll want.Good luck if you decide to do it!!!

10. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

My response:

1. What is wrong with your current truck, looks like it is in A-1 shape to me.

2. If you have had good luck with Ford's why change?

3. Go out a drive a new Ford too.

Geoff