i am a new guy

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by Grace9508, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Grace9508

Grace9508 LawnSite Member

Hey love the site,great info. I am 21 and just lost my carpentry job because the contractor i work for went uner . I already have lined up jobs doing gutter clean out and yard maintenance for the fall so i am blessed in that . I would like to weigh out getting set up to do christmas light installation. I have basic construction equipment , truck, and a good amount of money to invest.
    Would it be worth it to target lower middle class homes and do smaller jobs? Any feed back would be great. Thanks

2. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Doing lawn care... lower - middle class homes aren't going to be paying someone to put up their lights for them. ESPECIALLY with the way things are going now.

I am mainly focusing on the higher class neighborhoods myself.

I'll put it like this... I advertise basically in 3 different cities. They step up on the income latter as you go across. Woodstock, Roswell, Alpharetta. Now, this is as clean cut as you get it and I am not exagerating with this at all. Anyone living here can tell you I am right on. Of course there is all ways the exception but...

Woodstock: Middle class

Roswell: Upper middle class with some upper class

Alpharetta: Upper class

These three cities make a straight line going across the N Atlanta Suburbs.

My client base:

Woodstock: VERY minimal (oh, and this is where I live)

Roswell: I'd say percentage wise... 30%

Alpharetta: My main source of customers, easily 50% or more.

I advertise with the EXACT same ad in the same magazine (community magazine, same publisher just the stories are focused on the different cities) for each city. I hardly ever get calls from woodstock, this magazine covers the Roswell/Woodstock line so it doesn't even cover the majority of Woodstock, just the higher end areas. Roswell does pretty good as does Alpharetta. I would go as far as to say that they both generate the same amount of calls. Alpharetta has the most people that actually sign up.

To make a long story short...

Don't waste your time and resources on the middle, lower class, go where the money is...

3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I have a few "middle"class folks who are mostly older single ladies or retired folk who just can't get on the ladder or roof. They do a simple design and we charge them fairly and move on. 95% of my customers are the 3500 and up square foot houses in subdivisions that have pretty restrictive covenants. I'd classify them as the upper 2-3% .

4. hotrod1965

hotrod1965 LawnSite Senior Member

You'll find that you will naturally end up with Dave's spread. Our average install this year should land around $1000. How many middle class folks fork out $1000 for decorations?

5. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

6. tdf

tdf LawnSite Member

alot if we are talking half buried tires painted silver and concrete birdbaths:clapping: