I am about to scream

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Kkane97, Dec 27, 2012.

1. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I had the same problem, with my ariens, with tecumseh snow king engine, there is a screw on the side of the carb, it you take it out, it has a couple tiny holes in it, use a small wire to clear the holes, they may look ok, but are dirt and need to be cleared, you can also tighten governer arm, so it doesnt surge back and forth, mine purrs like a kitten now, if you go on youtube there is some good videos for that engine, hope this helps.

2. Kkane97

Kkane97 LawnSite Senior Member

New carb on there yesterday, didnt feel like buying a 15 dollar rebuild kit when a new one is 30. And starts right up for 5 seconds and dies. Only starts with full throttle, full choke. If we try to turn choke down it dies earlier, otherwise it dies in 5 seconds. After dying it is pretty hard to start back up again, takes 3 trys on the E-start. It is almost like it gets enough gas to start then can get enough and conks out. I checked the vents in the gas cap, and even tried it with the cap off and its a no go. Any ideas guys?

On a good note, it doesn't surge for those 5 seconds :D lol

3. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic

The only thing i can think of is to blow it up :laugh:

Or, adjust the new carb.

Just my 2 cents

4. Kkane97

It is a fixed jet carb like a lot of snowblowers are and there are no adjustments for the fixed jet... Thought of that

5. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

A new carb isn't tuned out of the box, there is a couple adjustments you can make. One is the idler screw, next there is a few holes on the idler arm, try a few different positions, I know mine runs frine but doesnt have a mid throttle, it either idles at a low rpm and then runs at high rpm, which is fine for a snowblower, you dont really want a mid throttle anyway. You could also try the spark plug, check the gap, maybe feul filter. Short of all that I really dont know, try the youtube videos as previously mentioned by someone, i think its donyboy or something like that. If all else fails, either take it somewhere for service or buy a new one/used one. I got a used ariens for 500, when a new one is 1200, all the best, and good luck, also try plowsite.com, maybe more info there.

6. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't go back and read the whole thread but how about the fuel lines. A cracked on can cause some pretty strange behavior and the cracks are not always apparent when you inspect them.

7. kawasaki guy

I thought you got an aftermarket adjustable carb

8. Kkane97

Well victory is mine, just a simple case of not checking the easiest problems, I went out today to change the gas lines and once I looked under the tank, there was a perfect kink in the line. Pulled out the kink, started it up, purs like a kitten. Thanks guys for the help :D

For future readers, change the carburator to fix the surging
    for my model, I needed this carb
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HU6OGI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

9. kawasaki guy

glad you fixed it :) :clapping: