1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I am disappointed right now.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, Apr 15, 2008.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Our new Gravely 160Z has 13 hours now and up untill yesterday has been cutting amazing. Well one of our higher end clients decided to mulch there own place this year which is fine but they left a huge rock in the middle of the DEEP THICK grass and I didnt see it in time. I pulverized and it mangled up the tips and rounded them off of 2 blades. I did my best to try to sharpen and fix them but they are to rounded off now and its not cutting nearly as good as it was. I am disappointed in my customer and in the fact that its now going to cost me $70 for 2 new OEM Gravely blades.

We are going to let them know what THEY did and make it clear we are not happy about having to shell out $70 for new blades for a brand new mower. We are hoping they will offer up to split the difference at least.
  2. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, I would never have the guts to approach a customer because I ran over something. Is it even their fault?
  3. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Not a good idea to approach the customer. You should always check your lawns before the first mowing. Not the customers fault. Part of being a lco.
  4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea, check your lawns before you mow and don't be in such a hurry. Just eat the loss and chaulk it up to experience. It happens to all of us.
  5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Remind me never to buy a gravely if blades are 45 bucks a piece! Yikes! I cry at 15 a piece for exmarks.

I wouldn't bring it up to them. Your the operator, it's your job to watch what your doing. Unless you have it in the contract that the yard is to be clear of any/all debris before you mow, it's not their fault. I ran over a brick last year doing a leaf cleanup (it was under the leaves, couldn't see it at all), I mangled one blade really bad, and the other 2 were beat up enough that i figured just replace them. I just bit the bullet and replaced them. Thats why we charge what we charge, all part of doing business I guess.
  6. ProStreetCamaro

This wasnt the first mowing it was the 4th. This lawn grows so fast it needs cutting every 2 days. The rock was tottaly hidden with no way to see it. Next week when we go back if they have thrown it out in the lawn again I would hit it again. I cant walk over every lawn before we cut. Thats not even remotely practical and would take up to much time.
  7. ProStreetCamaro

Actually they are $35 each. They are made of marbane steel which is harder and holds an edge twice as long as other blades thats why they cost more. Had I been on our exmark I dont think those blades would have even been useable again. It scared the crap out of me. I have never heard such a horrible sound in my life. I could get new blades from texasmowerparts for $7 each but the oregon blades we got for our 34Z cut like crap so I am avoiding oregon blades for gravely mowers.
  8. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

yea i had a brain fart there for some reason saying 45 instead of 35.

Yea I've hit some bad things before and it always scares the crap out of me, it's instinct to hit the deck lift and pick the deck up.

As for the situation, the only suggestion i could say (this is what I'd be doing) is just slowing down at that place. Maybe bring it up to them that you damaged the blades and ask that they not throw stuff in the yard anymore. I have a property that grows so fast it could use mowed every 3 days no joke, and I end up having to slow down anyway due to the grass being so tall.
  9. ProStreetCamaro

Yeah thats what we are likely going to do. We have known these people for almost 30 years. I bet the guy offers to pay for the blades because thats the kind of guy he is plus it was his wife that left the rock in the yard. What really got my heart going was when I looked over and that big rock was bouncing along 30 feet away at a nice clip and went right by the front of the neighbors car. The real bummer is the machine only has 13 hours on it after today.
  10. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

suck it up and pay it. i hit somthing that bent my deck, so u got off easy.
    So u gotta cut a lawn to pay for it, big deal.