1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I am getting sick of customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, May 17, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

These last couple of weeks I have had it up to here with customers regarding lawn care and landscaping installation. Tonight was the final straw. This lady wanted me to price out this landscaping installation for her. It was approx. 9x18. I was going to put some shrubs, put down landscaping farbic, stone it, etc. The whole nine yards. Would only take me about 5 hours to do it.

So I priced it out and gave her a call up. She wasn't happy about the price. So we went through everything step by step to bring the price down and ways to cut costs. We cut down on the amount of shrubs, she said she could get the landscaping stones, and also cut down on the disposal because she said she could take care of the stuff.

Finally the price is $240 cheaper than what I priced it at and what does she say, "Well, I have to talk to my husband about it, I will get back to you."

I just sat there on the phone thinking to myself, " You still have to talk to your husband about it after I brought it down that much."
  2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had that happen to me many times, just take a deep breath and move on, it's just part of the business, your always going to get bargain shoppers, and sometimes just plain azzholes.
  3. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I have said it before and I will say in again. DO not budge on your price. Give the Customer an Inch they will take a mile
  4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Set a price and leave it at that. If the customer grumbles about the price.. tell them to get another bid. You're wasting valuable time when to try to look for ways to save a customer a few dollars. I've been down that road before and you will always lose money when you try cut prices for landscape work.
  5. tiedeman

from earth

update on this: She calls me and tells me it's not in her budget this year. But what would you charge for ripping up the old landscape.

I am thinking to myself, ok, this is how you want to play. The ripping up should only take about 2 hours, I am going to charge her $300.00 for it. Now we will see what she says
  6. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this a lawn care customer tiedman?
  7. tiedeman

from earth

nope, its one of my lawn care customers mother.
  8. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a tough call, Family is a great bond and marketing tool. I might opt to tread lightly and cheaply on the issue...it of course depends on the "family". Is it a profitable entity? Typically with this situation, you lose one, you lose all! Sometimes you can be addicted to a family, when it isnt profitable. A major think tank is in order...
  9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a PITA to me, and not the kind you can tolerate. The kind that know they are a pita and pay extra.
  10. "I am getting sick of customers"

I know what you mean, next time I start a business I'm not going to have any customers.

BTW customers are why whiskey is an business expense :drinkup: