I am going to buy a dump truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by chevyman1, Nov 29, 2004.

1. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

For next year as I go full time. I started this weekend and looked at 2 used...what do you think of these? I plan on towing a 16-18ft trailer with 1-2 zero turns, a 50-48" walkbehind, and a 32" and 21"

1. 1997 Chevy 1500, V6, 3-yard aluminum box, 65k miles, $6,995

2. 1986 Chevy 350 V8, 25k miles (original, was a cemetary truck locally), 4WD, 4-way Fisher Plow, 4 yard dump, $6,995

I am still thinking new is the way to go, but do you think either are worth the gamble?

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

The second choice seems a little better. Bigger engine and payload capacity, comes with plow and is 4 wheel drive. Only thing though is it's an 86 and must have some rust by now if used for plowing. One other thing would bother me about that one too, insurace will give bluebook if totaled so what's it's blue value? If it's only worth say 1000 and you buy for 7k and it gets wrecked, burns up, stolen whatever it's a loss. I'd try to minimize that gap in value to cost.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Well I have a 1992 GMC 1500 4wd with a 4.3 and with a trailer behind it has no get up and go at all when Im pulling a 6x12 with a tiger cub and toro wb.Also I dont think you could haul very much at all on it.
    I like truck number 2 better as you would be able to push snow in the winter and the v-8 should have plenty of power for towing.
    That is my 2 cents worth.

4. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

I'd go for the second truck, because on the 1/ 2ton once the weight of the dump box is taken into consideration, you would not be legal to carry much weight in that truck.

5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Id keep looking. Surely you can find a 3/4 ton of 1 ton with 4 wd & deisel used for the price your looking with

6. 2004F550

2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member

2nd truck, mucher more truck, and didn't live a very hard life from the sounds of it. The 1500 could be pretty whipped from carrying 3 yard loads IMO

7. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I'd say #2 is a better truck. Be careful for rust and frozen parts/hardware. Sitting around is the worst thing you can do to equipment.

I looked at at a 1993 1 ton dump plow/sander setup. It was a "yard" truck for a hospital in Boston. Same low hours like #2, but rust all over the place. Remember, the guys that are running it don't own it, so it's likely they didn't particularly care to much about how it was cared for.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

why is there only 25,000 miles on the second truck?

9. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

Definitely the 2nd truck, a V6 in most trucks used for scaping isn't sufficient,
    I have an '01 2500HD with the 6.0 (364 ci) and it isn't enough for a heavy tandem 6x12-I would recommend a diesel if at all possible. Once you've driven a diesel, I think you may agree. Forget using a 1/2 ton with that amount of equipment. Just my .02

10. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

I would stay away from #1 because of the V6. I don't know how much highway traveling vs. around town driving you would be doing. If you do a lot of highway driving and it does not have overdrive I would not consider it at all. It probably has a high rear end gear ratio and engine will probably turn over 3000 r.p.m. at 55 m.p.h. without overdrive. Translation= god awful fuel economy.