I am having pump problems on my Lesco Spacesaver

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cod8825, May 25, 2008.

1. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I know that some of you will say that was your first problem getting a Lesco tank sprayer vs Gergson or whoever but here is my deal. I bought a unit from a gentleman that was three years old and he was selling it with a brand new pump (He showed the receipt to me and all) well I was using it for my second round and about after 200 hours of spraying I brake the connecting rod ring on my pump and all. I call the guy that I but it from and he tells me that he had the exact same thing happen to him with the old pump what the heck.

Here is my real question this is the second Hypro D403 diaphragm pump to go out on this unit. Should I
    1) Buy a new D403 pump and have on of the old ones rebuilt and continue to use it.
    2) Buy a new pump and sell the unit.
    3) Try and put a different pump from a different vendor on. If I go this route how in the world do I get the information to get a compatible pump.

All help is greatly appreciated.
  2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

There's a guy in this forum that's always singing the praises of Gregson-Clark. Hopefully he won't see your thread and chime in. I'm wondering though if Lesco might warranty your unit at all.

If you have more time than money, I'd probably buy a new D403 and have your broken one rebuilt, so you could use it as a backup. If you have more money than time, I'd sell that Space Saver and buy a Gregson-Clarke in a heartbeat.
  3. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

Those pumps are relatively easy to rebuild and you can order just about any part for them. I'd look into buying the part and replacing it yourself. If it's prone to breakage, buy a couple of extra parts and keep them on hand. Just my .02.
  4. cod8825

Is Hypro a relatively on average good pump and maybe got a lemon or are my expectations to high.
  5. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

They are good pumps. I worked for a company and we had 80 trucks, some with the space savers and Hypro Pumps and others with multi-tank systems and Hypro Pumps. Every winter we would rebuild every single pump and would replace every part that needed replacing. We would generally get 3 seasons out of them before full replacement. After 3 or so seasons, the salt/acids in the fertilizer would "eat" the aluminum on the pumps and it wasn't worth buying new housings as they cost almost as much as the pump itself.
  6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

All I've used are space savers... but I hate them. Diaphragms failing left and right, o-rings, ... just crap. But then again, maybe every other sprayer out there sucks just as bad.

Americanlawn uses Tuflex and swears by them. I'd like to try one of those...
  7. cod8825

Has anybody bought a unit then replaced it with a different brand of pump then what they bought.
  8. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Proud owner of a V-200 Gregson-Clark skid sprayer and can't say enough good things about it. There's nothing sucky about this unit.
  9. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i've ran the hypro d30 and d50 for 1000's of hours with out any problems other then diaphrams (replaced yearly), and maybe a seal or too. they have had some corrosion issues, but nothing that was to expensive to repair and the parts are easy,quick to get, and at a good price. i have a udor on my aquatics boat and have had a few problems with it (it does not see nearly as many hours as the hypros do) other then replacing the diaphrams in the winter. the one thing that does need replacing every spring is the pressure regulator assembly ($125). guess the copper sulffate, glysophate, and diquat really mess that thing up. i have the d403 on a space saver, not realy that impressed with it, other then it is smother then the twin diaphram pumps

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

First question, Did you really buy it from a three year old?