I am just a dumb, weak, defenseless woman.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mower_babe, Dec 11, 2003.

1. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

So, the other day we get a call to pick up some brush. My husband took the call and told me who it was. I told him that we were not interested in doing the job because the guy is a real jerk. I have looked at a job in the past for him and he said he would not pay the same hourly manual labor rate for myself and a 200lb 18yr as he would pay for my husband.

But, my husband said that we could use the money and I told him this guy was nothing but trouble. I bit my tongue and he went to look at it. He bid the job and for some reason, I think he was temporarily insane, agreed to 60 day billing. :eek: I offer 10 day only. Needless to say, I wasn't ecstatic about the situation. Well, the pompous azz calls and says he will "let" us work for him considering the 60 day billing. Gee, thanks mister. I told him that my husband must have been feeling particularly charitable, as we only offered 10 day billing, but that whatever he offered, that I would uphold. Well, he told me he could find someone else, and I said "Ok, just let me know." And he said, "Well ok, I guess if you want to do it you can." And I said, "It is not a matter of if I want to do the job, it is up to you to hire us." arrrg..So, he continued to tell me that I was rude and I said "I am sorry that you are offended. Ok, so do you want to retain us or not." He said yes, and I said "Thanks, we'll see you soon."

So, I go out to the doghouse to warn my husband again about this dumb-butt. My husband goes to do the work and the guy says, "Gee I am real sorry if I offended your wife, but man, she is a real control freak isn't she?" My husband replied that this is my business and that he is getting paid hourly and that he stepped on my toes by offering extended billing. The guy replies, " YOU get paid hourly? It is not like SHE could do this work anyway. Ha-ha!" My husband says, "Oh-she most certainly can and does do this kind of work."

As a sidenote - I remember being 9 mos pregnant, shoveling landscape rock like an SOB, and having a baby one week later.

Oh, I should go - it is getting cold out and I better let my husband in.

;)

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Good for you, MB

3. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

Great Job MB, after all you cant talk sense into an idiot like him anyway.

4. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

see eveything does come out in the wash

;)

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I'd add a PITA fee in his 60 day billing as a convenience charge. What a lame azz...Good for you:D

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I love the ladies
    They have the brains to keep there foot out of there mouth with customers, and I think they can physically out work the guys over a whole day they know they have to pace themselves. Most woman controll the money when it comes to landscaping If a husband and wife come out to show me what they were planning on having done I always listen to the wife. Believe me When the time comes it will be the way SHE want things, so I usually take a female with me to bid those kind of jobs. I have been thinking of putting an all female crew together and see how things work out. WAY TO GO BABE!

7. Davo

Davo LawnSite Member

MB
    Way to go!

8. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Good for you MB. The longer I stay in this business, the less I like people.

9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

It's hard enough for a man to get respect in this business, let alone a woman. Good for you. You go girl.LOL As far as being in the doghouse, been there, done that.

10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

If I had a wife and the man called her a "control freak" That would have been the end of that business relationship. I don't know why he would do 60 day billing either. If he insulted her in anyway--the end--like saying you couldn't handle the work. He could KMA