1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

i am looking for some lawn cuting info

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GSL 23, Sep 2, 2003.

1. GSL 23

GSL 23 LawnSite Member

I would like now in what order you cut lawns.

cut - trim- blow

trim- cut - blow

i'm a one men crew. thank you for info.
  2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I like to blow first:dizzy:
  3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

On a more serious note, It is more beneficial to cut first in order to be sure that you have gotten everything possible before doing alot of trimming.

Also, for the list of equip you have, this is a very basic question, shouldnt you know this:confused:

MARYLANDMOWER LawnSite Member

I agree with Lawn Sheep, but I know my lawns so well, I like to trim first. Chops up the clippings.
  5. dougmartin2003

dougmartin2003 LawnSite Senior Member

i cut trim blow
  6. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

i agree if youre not familliar with the lawn in question, mow trim blow. after you know what the mower can and cant reach you can trim first and mow the clippings. but 99% of the time i mow trim blow except when leaves start falling i might blow the leaves into the lawn and mulch them up.
  7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

For us, it depends upon the conditions.

Definitely in the spring for the first couple of cuts, Matt will start to trim first while I cut.
    Once the growth slows down and there isn't as much trimming, we will cut first, then trim.
    Also, if you are going to experience some lawns with an over-abundance of crabgrass growing all along the sidewalks, driveways etc., it is best to trim first, otherwise it will look kinda sloppy having the crabgrass shot all over the already cut lawn.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way. Just size up your lawns, and if the trimming is out of control, trim first. If not, then cut first, trim second.
  8. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Trim first, then you don't have long pieces of weeds & grass scattered around the freshly cut lawn.
  9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with 1Major on that. Crab grass or what ever if it is strewen on a cut lawn looks like crap. I don't think any one can actually answer your question though. It is one that you need to figure out yourself. alternate between the two untill you find out which is faster and looks the best. then stick with it. Heck I belive mowing is like this. the first few times i mow a new lawn I am looking for the fastest way to get it cut and look good. I use this way when I am trying to get caught up and Interupt my usual change direction routine.
    Good luck.

LAWN APPEAL LawnSite Member

Cut Trim Blow is the way to go