I am not even sure what to call this...

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Junior M, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, so I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but you guys know me alot better than most on here so I am going to post it here...

A guy that did backhoe work and hauled dirt, gravel and stuff like that was killed working on a bush hog tuesday.. Thats really all I can say.. That sums it up.. I am not sure how to post a link but if you want to read the article go to www.thestate.com/local/ and then find the article named "Blythewood man crushed in accident"

The guy was only 25, and he was super nice, when he was waiting on his truck to be loaded or something and you were digging grade and you went to get off the machine to check the grade, he would come over and check it for you, numerous times he grabbed a shovel to help us spread the gravel out on the pool bottom... Its just a shame, he was a really good guy with a promising business, He would bend over backwards to help you when you really needed it...

That happening puts life in to perspective, he was doing a simple task of sharpening the blades on his bush hog, thats what I was told, and the jack collapsed, just a simple accident that couldnt have been helped, I and I know many other who have done alot more hazardous tasks and have never been harmed and yet he was hurt.. I have never had something like this happen and I dont really know how to handle it.. I am not totally sure why I am posting this, I guess I am hoping its as big of an eye opener to be safer as it was to me...

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

That's brutal, anytime I am near anything that weighs more than me I am always thinking twice.
    You can be snuffed out at a moment's notice, and you wouldn't even know death is coming.

3. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Not sure what happened to the jacks but it's a reminder not to work under anything including boom arms without really good supports. Just hug your folks and if you are a parent hug your kids because you never know what the next day will bring. Accidents can and do happen and it's always tragic.

4. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

happens all the time here in KS. Famers w/ open-air cabs that brush hog sometimes hit big ruts which cause them to fall off the mower goes right over them. Very sad.

5. Junior M

Thats just gory (spelling?) I am not even sure what to say about this whole situation...

6. ianh

ianh LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear about your friend.

All I can offer you are the words of Ray Charles that I always keep in the back of my mind: "You better live every day like it's your last day, 'cause one day you're gonna be right."

7. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

about 2 months ago they dont know what exactly happened it was speculated he may have passed out from heat but a guy was disking a field and fell off the tractor and the impliment ran over him i cant even imagin what that was like when people arived on the scene it couldnt have been anything resembling a human

8. Junior M

I have seen a deer that was ran over by a disk, not the prettiest sight before the disk inncident, it was really bad after, Tractors seem to be the worst for falling off and getting hurt...

9. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a closed station machine and you're ok.

Old letter series tractors aren't very safe. They're a blast, but they aren't very safe. I've got a Farmall M and the seat is directly above the drawbar and it is made of slippery steel and it's got no back to it. If you dumped the clutch real hard without a tight grip on the wheel you could easily slide off the back of the seat.

10. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

Accidents can happen so easy on the jobsite. I managed to chop the end of one of my toes off over the summer removing the root rake from the skid steer. Just doing a normal task, pulled up the two release pins and for some reason it just slipped down off the mounts and toppled over onto me, I was able to get everything out of the way except for my right foot. One of those rake tines landed right on it and goodbye toe nail and end of toe:cry:

The biggest close call that I've had that could have put me 6' under was cutting a tree up for logs. I had already pushed the tree over with the excavator and drug it out of the stump hole. It was probably a 18" diameter, 80' pine tree. Well I was cutting the stump off and as soon as the cut went all the way through the entire log flung back launching me and the chainsaw back about 6-7' and then the log landed right on my legs pinning me to the ground. Thank god I had my helper on the site with me and he was able to run to the machine and grab a shovel to dig my legs out from under the log and get me out.
    For some miracle, my grandpa must have been looking out for me, I did not even get a scratch. Now I my legs felt like they had been run over by a truck, but I came out blood free. I can still remember that moment to the day.

I'm only 21, Guess I need to take it easy if I want to make it to 30:dizzy: