1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I am not sure

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by monstermows, Feb 10, 2006.

1. monstermows

monstermows LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I have a few questions. I am a person who graduated from college with a Master's degree in molecular biology my undergraduate degree was biology with a horticulture minor. I did some medical research and I hated being in the lab. All I felt is anxiety in the lab because the worked moved along so slowly. So that would cause me to screw up my experiments. So then I was hired as a supervisor at daimlerchrysler just as a temp while their regular supervisors were away helping launch a new vechicle. This job paid very well for the year I was there. The day they called me in and told me blah, blah, blah this date we will be letting you go I was actually relieved because I was about to put my two weeks in. Like I said the job paid well but what you had to put up with on a daily basis it was not worth it and i went home and :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: .

So now I am at home sitting on my butt wondering what I should do. The city will be offering free classes to become certified in wastewater, air, soil pollution next month. I was thinking I would take these classes since I also have a biology background. Even if I take the classes something has been eating at me to do. I want to start teaching at some of the colleges in my area. I know if I did that I would have to start as a part-time instructor taking classes at 2 or 3 colleges to make anything close to decent money. I was thinking then after 2 or 3 or 4 years one college would make me a fulltime instructor. So as a teaching my busy time of year would be from about Sept 1st - May 7th. And as a part-time instructor I may not be that busy. So what I was thinking is start a lawn/landscape business. I worked in the industry for 13 years and watched a friend start a company from scratch. I may not know everything there is but i do have a good amount of knowledge of starting out is done. So I wanted to start a business this year and work to build it and by the time I may be hired fulltime as a college instructor I would have employees doing my routes. I have discussed whether or not a fulltime instructor is required to teach in the summer with instructors at different college. The y have told me no that is totally up to the individual. So I wouldn't teach in the summer and be able to be a integral part of each days work at my business.

I know having a business requires much more than a hardworker using a walkbehind. But I know there is no one in my city that does better work than me. Including Daveintoledo:gunsfirin :p . Dave you seem so negative. I have been coming to this site for 3 weeks and reading threads one after another and I have learned a lot this is the first time I haveposted anything I got a very strong sense of negativity from you Dave. But anyhow I know how to workhard and add and subtract and plan I think I have a good base of intelligence. My experience at the car manufacture has told me I don't ever want to work for anyone besides myself. If I went out and got a job maybe I could make 35k maybe 40k. I just figure I can easily make that by doing the business/teaching thing and after 6 or 7 years a lot more. Any input would be appreciated? I don't mean to sound like a prick Dave but i read so many of your posts and you sounded so negative everytime I read a post from you you made me not even think start-up is possible. Maybe it is just the general Toledo attitude.
  2. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

seems like you'd have a lot on you plate, good luck
  3. monstermows

from ohio

Yeah I can tell the guy is not an idiot from what I have read
  4. toac

i had the same impression when i first read davintoledo's posts, but he know his stuff
  5. toac

do you have any equipment yet?
  6. cpritch

cpritch LawnSite Member

No offense, but Dave never struck me as negative and I'm a newbie. He struck me, and still does, as someone that knows his stuff and isn't going to blow sunshine up your ass. There is a crap side to EVERY career choice and business, and I think Dave just points out some things that some of us tend to not think about - all we have are $$ in our eyes. "How easy would it be. . ." the constant question. Nothing that's worth a sh*& in life is ever easy and I think that's what Dave, and many others on this board, is trying to point out. I'm not trying to jump your case here, but I think maybe you're mistaking honesty for negativity.

Just my two cents. .:waving:
  7. toac

cpritch - i couldn't agree more, but when i first was reading on the boards it seemed as though he was negative, after reading for a while i realize that he just speaks the truth
  8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

All I have to say is that if you have a Masters in molecular biology YOU are bordering on idiot if you are thinking of mowing lawns for a living.Why don't U try a Pharmaceutical company or any of the thousands of opportunities in your feild of education out there?
  9. monstermows

from ohio

I just wanted to put something else out there. I have a friend Jack ( ill use fictious names so it doesn't get confusing saying that guy this guy) who i did about 13 years of work for now he has grown to 3 crews mowing and 1 crew landscaping and his does a lot of investing in houses now also. About 8 years ago Jack went up to another friend of mine Harry and said, you have to do something with your life. Harry was kind of doing a lot of heavy drugs. So Harry became Jack's partner. Harry I wouldnt say is stupid but he had no plan and or experience when he started the partnership. Harry was doing 90% of the labor and when the partnership ended it seemed like he got screwed. He lost his girlfriend to Jack because while he was out doing the work the work Jack was doing the paperwork and more with Harry's girlfriend. I cant say for sure but Harry also seemed to get screwed in the business end when they split. A lot of the accounts he left with Jack went and got back I dont know if he lowballed him or what, or maybe it was poor quality of work thats what Jack says. But I do know these account have dealt with Jack only from the business end and that probably gave him a lot of leverage if he went behind Harry's back and made proposals. Jack now has something like 250 accounts and Harry has 40. Harry does good work because I have worked with him off and on also but I dont think he has any clue about planning or advertising or the willingness to do so. I told him I was going to start my own service and have 5000 door hangers being made and we were thinking maybe work together. Is there anyway togo into business with someone and not have it end badly in anyones opinion.
  10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

A lot of what Dave answers to is questions from young or new guys. Most with tunnel vision and great dreams. Or some that are looking at this as the answer to all of life's problems. Dave tries to answer in a "open your eyes wide open before jumping in" or "keep as many options open to you as you can".
    You sound like you got a lot going well and can be positive. That is great. Most are not in your position and he is just trying to help more get there.

As for your plans, I am not sure what you are asking or if you are?
    Do want to be a LCO or are you looking for other info? As far as making money in life I think you would make a lot more using your education than mowing but if you do not like doing that than try the LCO route and go back later if it does not work out.

Dave's real motive is to talk all other people out of mowing so he can have all the customerspayup :p :p