1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

i am ready for spring.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimslawncareservice, Jan 13, 2013.

1. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

I cant wait till mid march so we can get started on cleanups. My bank account is dissapering fast right now trying to keep the bills paid and get some new equiptment and maint ready for next season. It's the same every year. In the meantime I'm praying for snow and I've been cutting firewood so I can have some income for next winter.

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Firewood isn't a bad idea...I have stuff laying all over my property from 2 hurricanes, but it's a lot of work for not all that much money.

3. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

What do you guys charge for a cord of split and dried wood? And what do you use? Oak?

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

4. 94gt331

Male

It is deffinately alot of work for little money, but I look at it as I can go find the wood and cut it off my wooded property and friends properties for just my time and next winter it's there to make some extra money. It's not much money but it gives me something to do while I'm not doing anything else. And I hate sitting around.

5. 94gt331

Male

I sell by my 8 ft dump bed insert $125 a load its alittle under a cord. Mixed hardwood of what I can find.

6. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I was selling nice road oak trunk wood for $225/cord but I've been down to private stock for a year or so now so haven't sold any. I let a neighbor do some clearing of some big oaks that were shading the solar panels they put up...the reduced efficiency was gonna cost them on their rebates. I don't own a splitter and my access to one is pretty spotty so I haven't really gotten into firewood that much, but I have 30+ wooded acres and like I mentioned a lot of stuff down from 2 hurricanes.

7. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

My elderly neighbor was telling me about his grandfather selling some firewood in the late 1800's. That man got ten cent's and one dinner for a split and stacked cord. And all of this was done with a manual saw and a axe. I told my neighbor that story would live on.

8. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

In reference to cutting wood for little money. So what. I see it as "better than zero", AND you get some exercise. Atleast you don't have to work for someone else during downtime. Take pride in that. I do all kinds of odd jobs, and explore ideas during winter. Some flop, some pay very little, and every once in a while, i'll score:) Most recently i bought some digital cameras off ebay around 1 am, when fewer people were bidding. I'll make a little profit. I really can't do anything outdoors. Starting a popular forum and selling advertising would be great too:)