I am ready to buy!!!!!! Exmark or Ferris

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lukinrats, Sep 13, 2004.

1. lukinrats

lukinrats LawnSite Member

I have a few yards that I cut on the side. I have had an exmark lazer z with a 60" deck for the past 3 years. I cut a lot of bahia grass and the exmark seems to do a great job. 2 of the yard are very bumpy and the exmark is not helping my back and neck. I am looking into buying one of the Ferris mowers because of the suspension. I have been trying to deduce from other posts and threads what to do, but cannot seem to find anything to help me make up my mind. Can I expect a Ferris to be as good as the Lazer Z or not? I would love the smooth ride of the Ferris if I can get away with it!!!! Also looked at one of the Gravelys with the pivot front end, but this does not seem like it will help the jarring as much as the Farris

Thanks...................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Do you already have afull suspension seat on the exmark? Look at dealer support. How many dealers do you have to choose from for the exmark vs. the Ferris. Say you need a part right now and Shop A is not nearby is there also a Shop B that may have it? People seem to lean more towards the Exmark in most of the threads that I have seen on selection. Which one will give you aloaner is also an important consideration. I see lots of add ons for exmarks from after market companies like leaf plows and such, will you be needing this as well?

MMLawn likes this.
  3. aklandscape

aklandscape LawnSite Member

My wifes cousin just bought a ferris 5000IS and loves it. He says he likes it just as well as the exmark he had.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You can get the comfort ride suspension for the stock eXmark seat or a full suspension seat. Why not upgrade the seat setup for $199-$500 instead of buying a new $8000 mower?

5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just received a Ferris I/S5000 today to field test for Turf Magazine. It has the CAT diesel 31.5 HP engine and the 61" rear discharge deck. Why not wait until you read the results. The test results should be in the October issue of Turf Magazine.

6. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

This sounds logical to me. Or do you just want to get a new mower? I have a Ferris 3000IS and it has been great.

7. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Ferris- My back loves them.
    Mine seem to be holding up just fine

8. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

I like my Ferris. And it is definately smoother. But I'd try one before you buy so you you see if it's that much smoother, unless you need a new machine anyway. In that case no decision ,think springs.

9. chapjaal

chapjaal LawnSite Member

I got Ferris and Exmark and there is no compairison between the two. The Ferris is junk 700 hrs and 4 broken control arms 3rd set of springs and all new arm bushings. Not to mention 32 grease fittings and you need to remove rear tires to grease outside lower control arm fittings. Discharge sucks and parts are almost double the price of Exmarks. Yea its a little smoother and has a lower center of gravity but thats all it has to offer.

10. Supertiger

Supertiger LawnSite Member

Ive got two 60"Lazers , they mow great but after 6 years of moweing my back is going bad on me to. Ive just put the 200.00 doller suspention package on my oldest lazer and I will say that the ride is now much better than with out the new suspention seat. But I would like to have a ferris to. I would get the ferris and then put a suspension seat on it too i believe that the combo of springs on the wheels and the seat would be a dreem ride i wouldnt even spill my beer while mowing in my own yard. :drinkup:
    Chapjaal, I think you are probly wright about all those moveing parts breaking on the suspention, i hate it but i am not verry good at keeping things on my mower greased and most my zerk fittings on my Lazers wont even take new grease any more so i could see a Ferris in my trailer falling appart from neglect.