1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

I am ROYALLY P.Oed!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Chilehead, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I have been reading alot of threads and posts lately about using doorhangers to advertise. Just 2 weeks ago I ordered 5000 doorhangers. I went out yesterday to start placing them in residential subdivisions, and I get cited by a cop. "You need a solicitation permit to distribute those materials, son." The cop gives me a ticket--turns out to be $55.00. I decide to go to the county next door and the same thing happens--I get cited and a ticket. This time $40.00. Bottom line: I need a permit to distribute doorhangers, and the permit is only good for one day!! And people wonder why the Atlanta market has more illegals working in it than San Antonio. After you budget for an effective marketing campaign, there's no money left for payroll! Anyone else had this happen?

2. TheTurfTender

TheTurfTender LawnSite Member
    from Mn

How much is a permit?

3. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

i would go to the second county there tickets are cheaper

doing the same thing and expecting diffrent results is....the definition of stupidity

get a permit....and i'm not being mean.... just honest

4. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

A PERMIT???

WOW!!! The more I read about your laws as our neighbors I'm amazed at how many permits, bylaws etc... you guys have to deal with... that does not exist in Canada.

Sometimes I wonder if "the land of the free" really is true in the us nowadays...

Good luck

:)

5. SILVERSTREAK INC

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

so much for the right of free enterprise

6. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

i'm usually against laws...

but these places probably have laws because people insist on doing things like flyering every car at the mall...

papering every house in a 4 mile raduis on a windy day

maybe its just they want some accountability or 10 dollars

only thing i can say is..play by the rules of the game your playing....some people put 500 dollars in free parking

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I am sorry for your tickets, maybe DuraCutter has the answer...

We will move to Canada!! Just look at the fringe benefits, "free" public health care with short lines, firearms ban and public places where you can go to shoot up, fully equipped with clean needles. Just look at the bright side...you would be able to put flyers on doors and not worry about a ticket!

Thing that gets me is, I am on do not call list and still get calls and I may get one or two bills in mail box and the rest is junk mail...nobody does anything about junk mail.

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

These kinds of threads that discuss soliciting, and the need of permits, show up on LS frequently. This thread follows the typical response, "... stupid laws," "... crazy people with nothing else to do," "... municipality just trying to make money," and the like.

I'm confused why so many are confused. If the municipality has an ordinance against door-to-door without a permit, then why is that hard to follow? Somebody asked the cost of the permit, but the question was not answered. In my area, the cost of the permit is $0.00, yes, nothing.

The outcry against local ordinances is a mystery. Any municipality is covered with a myriad of ordinances and laws. Everybody is subject to them. But, the one regarding solicitation without a permit seems to really honk off some people. Why? Why choose on this ordinance, and not others? Why not be in outrage over the ordinance that controls signs along the roadways, the setbacks of houses, the location of swimming pools, the height of buildings to be built, the location of traffic signs/signals? Why is this single ordinance picked out as the target for outrage?

Why is it so difficult to comply with this ordinance, when many of you comply with a whole host of others, without blinking an eye?

The outrage seems to be that one person knows better how to run the municipality than another. If this is the case, there are plenty of opportunities, often a pleading, for folks to step up to be part of local governmental bodies that create the ordinances. When those opportunities arise, are the complainers going to be front and center, willing to volunteer their time and effort to be part of those committees? If you are willing to call these ordinances stupid, crazy, restraint of freedom, curtailing free enterprise, and so forth, you have plenty of opportunity to make the changes.

9. flakebortch

flakebortch LawnSite Member

Once again Roger you've authored the feel good post of the year. :rolleyes:

10. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Just don't get caught with an open container of beer outside!! You will go straight to jail, no pass go, no collect $200.

On another note, sorry for your plight dude. Honestly I don't know if I need a permit here but I am licensed to mow in the state, county, and my local city and if I start mowing in Dade City, I will get licensed there too. When I went to my local city I thought I had more customers in the city limits, NOPE. Just about half.

Go figure and all of my marketing is targeted outside the actual city limits but it is only $30 a year to be legal in the City so I will pay it....

Good Luck and hopefully pleading ignorance will get you somewhere!