1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I am sick of New Customers...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Charles, Aug 17, 2001.

1. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Calling me on the weekends to do work like they dont know the main working days. Also I have had more than usual call me wanting work done the SAME day they call like you are some kinda of fast food joint. I have had some good calls lately but no way could i jump right on them or do them on sat or sunday. Its like their are so many lawn care cos out there that when nobody else is answering their phone(weekends) you then get the call
  2. What kind of work?
  3. Charles

Grass cutting. Not super big jobs.

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Doing it the first time may well earn you a customer for life.
    Just make sure they know after that, that the work days are m-f and sat work is time and a half! Not only that, but sunday is doubletime!!
    The only problem with new customers is that a lot of the time, they are the problem customers anyway. The other guys may have cancelled them or the customer is just never satisfied with anything. Do your best to find good solid clients and NEVER miss a beat. Good luck.
  5. Charles

I know from experience alot of times they are just BSing when they say " I am looking for someone to do my yard regularly..." They say that just to get you out there on the weekend. Usually there mower is just broke or there regular man is behind or sick or they just dont feel like cutting it. But you are right some times it could be a good call. But they had all week to call and I need my 2 days to recoup especially during a straight five day 8-6 workweek...
  6. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

maybe get a seperate company phone...

you're in the service business, "if ya can't handle the heat get outta the fire!"

most people go through life reacting instead of acting and planning ahead, if you are on a personal basis with your customers, suck it up and charge accordingly.

i have people come by my shop on nites or sundays, i don't turn them down and get angry, i double my rate on their services!!!

of course this does not include my steady customers or buyers, my services and fees allow for me to "be at their service" they treat me good, so i do the same.

if your equipment needed service thursday nite and you needed parts, would you call on your dealer at nite? (or wish you could?)

It's all based on relationships.

people "cold calling" on estimates is a different story, that is why i have an advertised company phone number.
  7. Charles

I should have said potential customers. my regular cutomers know better than to call me on the weekends. You work to live not live to work IMHO.. I run my business I try not to let it run me and over 10 years it has worked well that way. Now the weather can change my schedule but inconsiderate stupid people cant.
  8. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

that's the key to enjoying life, don't sweat the small stuff.

i work to live comfortably and enjoy...

i don't wake to work and let the good things past me by.

i have a full time job 243 12hr. days a year, plus over 40 maintenance accounts, tool truck route and equipment sales, and i still try to live
  9. dhicks

dhicks Member

Money is Money to me and I don't care when they call. If I can accomodate the request so be it. If not, perhaps tomorrow or the next day.
  10. Charles

Dhicks, obviously you dont have a family or a girlfriend or a wife. They all want to make plans on your time off and can
    n be pretty pissed if you change those plans
    at the last minute. I like a life of consistency unless the weather changes that of course