I am starting my own lawn care company this year, whats some good 1st year advice.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawnman79, Feb 15, 2006.

1. lawnman79

lawnman79 LawnSite Member

I am starting my own lawn care company this year, whats some good 1st year advice.

I have been in lawn care for many years and Im finally ready to do it on my own.
    What are some of things you would have done diffrent your 1st year, and what have you founfd worked best as well.

Like used vs. new equiptment ?
    used vs. new truck ?
    what size trailer? I don't want too big, and I don't want to upgrade too soon
    do you you jobs for your friends, or are they only headaches?
  2. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

3. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

:cry: :cool2: DON'T :laugh: headphones :drinkup: :sleeping:
  4. lawnman79

lawnman79 LawnSite Member

gee......thanks :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
  5. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

get some good books on starting up a business. That way you are familiar with everything you will need.
    Taxes, insurance, workmans comp, ect...

Also read up on here. You will find just about anything you need.
    Personally I would go with used equipment first. That way you aren't in over your head out of the gate. Also, don't try and grow too fast. Grow in spirts and then look back and make sure everything is good. If you just keeping plowing ahead picking up more and more jobs, quality will become and issue along with your reputation. Do a lot of networking and get your name out their, and then do good work and your name will spread quickly.

Good luck
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The best I can think of right now is a simple term...

WHO AIN'T?
  7. EDEN77

EDEN77 LawnSite Member

First of all, believe in yourself and don't take jokes and criticism on this website seriously. You already have experience and that is crucial. Now, find what works for you personally. It's good advice not to try to grow too fast.

Learn all you can from books, websites, other professionals, and most of all from your own experiences. Get business insurance. Buy the study materials and take the test for a pesticide applicator's license. Don't go heavily into debt. Buy what you need only as you need it. Find a good equipment dealer not too far away and stay loyal to him. He'll take care of you in return. If not, find another dealer. Don't work too cheap. You're in business. Make sure you are making a profit.
  8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Keep it Simple - Bid and or try to locate jobs as to the equipment you own, and or maybe slightly larger, then if you actually get them, worry about investing in equipment.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Your first 3 questions are completely your own thoughts.

Personally, I've always run equipment that's 3 years old or newer. I'm a solo op that runs 6.5 days / week, so I don't want downtime. I know a new mower can break just as much as an old one, but obviously as something gets older, you're going to have to fix more.

Same thing with trucks.

As for trailer, what are you going to run for equipment. That should tell you what size trailer you're going to need. Being in NE, you're going to have more room than the guys out east, so you can get a little bigger trailer, probably something like a 8' x 16'. They're pretty easy to get around, and you can run a 52" up, and park your 21" push mower next to it.

As for anything else, try to think of a niche. It took me about 10 years to figure out, what my niche is. It's gas station / smaller sized commercial properties that will pay me for mowing / plowing on yearly fees. This way I can do 30 mowing accounts, with 1/2 as plowing accounts and I have a set budget the entire year.

I don't have to worry about if it's dry. If the account isn't irrigated, I still get paid. If it doesn't snow, I still get paid. If I have to mow 26 weeks out of the year, I've already budgeted the bid for 24, so they get 2 freebies. If it gets dry and I only mow 18 times, I get paid for 6 extra cuts.

Try to get it this way. If you're going into debt to start this business, it's going to be hard to pay for the equipment, your house, have a family, etc., if you're going to do it all per time. As soon as you lose your work load, then you've got to get another job. If you get another job, it's going to be hard to get your work load done when the weather picks up again.
  10. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

1. Don't lowball to get jobs, you'll regret it.
    2. Get insurance, it'll save your a$$.