I am still cutting grass!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, Nov 4, 2004.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Its nice to finally see the leaves falling off the trees but as of this first week of November I am still having to show up at my weekly mow only customers and cut grass. My fertilized lawns are growing at 2 inches a week as we have yet to have the multiple hard freezes that stop the growth and moisture has been plentiful this fall after drought conditions this summer.
    So I am making up some of the revenue that was lost when everything browned out in August and didn't return until 2 weeks ago. I will never figure the weather out.

Anyone else in the cool season still cutting?

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, I'm still cutting. Raining today or I'd be out. I have been able to stretch it out to every other week for the last few weeks. I can't believe you are still cutting weekly up where you are Ed. I'm glad it's working out for ya though. Get it when & while you can :cool2:

3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I'm shocked you're still cutting grass that far north. Last year I was still cutting grass until the first week of December. Looks like there's a chance I'll be doing it again this year.

4. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I want to quit but the crap keeps growing. I'm taking today and tomorrow off and hope to finish up next week. I'm ready to park the mowers in the shed till next year. There is rain/snow in the forecast for next week friday so hopefully that means the temps will get cold enough to send the grass into dormancy. I would cut today and tomorrow but it has been raining the last 3 days so it's way too wet

5. zmowingmaster

zmowingmaster LawnSite Member

we still have 50% of the accounts on weekly bases, and the rest for every other. but i was amazed yesturday how i found out that there is still grass growing in lots of yards, hey ALL FERRIS i took monday and tuesday off too, and today it seems that it will stay wet outside, so another day off...

6. Ability

Ability LawnSite Member

The grass is growing like crazy here. But the darn rain WILL NOT STOP. It is getting on my nerves.

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

yep...its still growing in PA. While we're back to 10 to 14 days between service calls, the grass thinks it April I think given the warm fall and lots of rain. One our our best commercial customers who never complains did call me last week and ask me when I think we'll be done cutting since he's blown thru his land budget the past 2 years (snow and grass). Me thinks allot of property mgrs have blown thru their budgets the past couple years.

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

i'm still cutting a few of mine weekly. So wet here, can't get clean-ups done or mow.

9. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

still growing, and raining though, so we'll keep on mowing. don't mind it though, as the more weeks, the more $
    could have used some of this rain back in August though!

10. WigginsLandscaping

WigginsLandscaping LawnSite Member

Here in Memphis. Still wet still warm enough to grow grass. I cant believe this. Still have full schedule as soon as rain stops long enough to cut. Getting cooler this week so should slow a bit. But grass already talk here. Very strange. But I enjoy the cash. We are swamped. Leaves falling, grass growing, tree work starting to come in. Life isnt that bad for us. Just too darn wet to get to it. UUUGGGGG!!!