I Am Stumped Need Help.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by befnme, Jan 17, 2006.

1. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

guys i usually know what to charge but this is the biggest scape i have ever done . i have to get the plans cpoied and reduced and will post them tomarrow. but it is a seniors center new construction with :
    120 lbs of rye seed
    50 lbs of annual lespedeza
    750 lbs of 10-10-10 fert
    2,000 lbs of lime
    80 yards of pine bark
    34 pallets of sod
    262 trees ,shrubs, and flowers .

so my wholesale cost is now up to 9,500.00 in supplies and i dont know how to figure my labor and time to make enough to be satisfied but not to much to loose the bid .can yall help ?

2. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i would just break all down one item at a time then total it all up . do you have all the necessary tools and equipment already ? what are using to spread the lime , pine bark , and seed

3. befnme

i have to rent a tractor ,my kubota is down . on smaller jobs i would usualy mark -up everything atleast 100 to 200 percent and i am fine with that.so i will get paid 90.00 to 135.00 to put a 45.00 tree in the ground . but on this it would be like 20,000.00 min.making about 10,000.00 profit .and being that this is my first scape this big i dont know if that is too much or not .

4. JKOOPERS

10,000 profit what about paying for labor ?

5. befnme

see thats what i mean . i guess i cant call it " profit " but that is money above and beyond my supplies cost . i still have to figure labor in .thats what i am having trouble with . i cant for the life of me break it down by the hour because it is so big . i dont know if i can do it in 3 days or a week .

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Not trying to be negative at-all....
    But why don't I like the sound of this job already?
    I read the materials list and said good lord!
    What are they going to do?.... Let the old folks out to graze?

I can't help you at all on the pricing. I haven't done any scapes of that size in many years. But I learned back then that if this is the level of work you want to do, you learn to walk on jobs like this.

Now, I am by no means telling you not to try and not to do the job. Just know going in that the entire job is not going to turn out well. I'm sure the landscaping and the sod will turn out fantastic. It's the rest I worry about.

7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I'm guessing at $25,000. Even if it takes you two weeks, it's STILL $10-$15K profit. The trees and shrubs would be one day for me, my New Holland with post-hole digger, and a couple guys. The fert., seed, and lime, also one day. That leaves the sod and pine bark. Wish I could get one of those this year. Good Luck!

8. befnme

thanks for the advise guys. we will se what happens .i will try to post the landscape plan tommarrrow.

9. JKOOPERS

the thing thats gonna take the longest is that damn pine bark . how many guys do you plan having at this job site?

10. befnme

not sure yet i have 3 lined up i may need a couple more to get it done timely.