I am the highest

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by SprinklerGuy, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Well..I went to do a bid for an 81 year old man with the tidiest friggin yard I have ever seen.....3 lawn areas...one about 2k...one about 1500k and one about 1500k.....all 3 separated by walls, perfectly raked 2-4inch river rock, rr ties, and cement...driveway shot almost a necessity to prevent any sort of MESS being made.....

i told him I would be the highest..how many bids are you getting blah blah...we hit it off great....I started to worry....I didn't really want this job....I knew he would want to help...the PITA factor math was going to certainly come into play with this one.

The water tap was near impossible....interior water heater closet that you would have to stand on your frickin head to get to.....and then shoot through 3 interior walls to get to the garage...then go outside to an area under the front deck steps that was LOADED with rock....and was about 5x5 area.....then under 2 sidewalks to just get to the grass.....

3 Car garage driveway...already cracked....I was going to find someone else to do that!

I planned on a master valve as I was going to have to run mainline around the house.....

7 valves....

RP due to slope.....

All spray heads due to configuration of the yard and size....45-50 of them...

Pipe to be pulled but at least 200 feet of hand digging around obstacles and through rock with landscape fabric underneath...

Old growth trees everywhere...house built in 1973....

He called last night to tell me he went with another contractor....he liked me more but doesn't have the money..can I come down in price? NO!!!

First bid... $1900
    Second bid..$2200 (winning bid from competitor's ad next to mine in paper)
    My bid....... $3950

I told him I wanted to come see the results each day from this guys work...he whole heartedly agreed and asked me to come out....hasn't heard from the winning bid contractor yet as to a start date....hmmm...

2200? I can't wait to see what a 2200 dollar job looks like with all the PITA going on....

I love to be highest.....I did 4 bids Friday and so far only sold one of them....I'm happy with that....

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Good for you, stick to your guns. those PITA jobs take a lot of mental stress.

I have one job I bid yesterday, changing out all 13 zones of VAN nozzles to fixed sprays. He's on a well and ALL the heads are either clogged or spray pattern is distorted. Also moving a couple heads. $750. Average of about 6 heads per station. And system in only just over a year old.

3. Excellent Tony. I always tried and wanted to be the high bidder. Sometimes I still exceeded my cost analysis because like you I make improvements on the fly. Need to factor that in for us type.

4. Crazy type? Anal retentive type?

This should be fun though watching this guy..I have no lettering on my vehicle this year...so I can actually pop in anytime to see what is going on....I have a bad feeling....I don't think this guy can pull this off.....at his price he will be cutting corners...and the h/o probably won't stand for it.....I am picturing a huge mess as the guy shoots the driveway with a hose and a pipe...LOL.....

Even digging the heads into the grass areas through the rock areas is a PITA.....I am picturing rock mixed with dirt and fabric cut apart and dips and swales....and hole sawing rr ties instead of going under or around....

I know this sounds funny...but I was planning on using a hole saw the diameter of the top of a Hunter Institutional Spray to cut the hole for the head through the sod in order to meet the demands of this picky ole man....

Sigh.....

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Problem with these picky ole customers, is that even though you may have made a ton of money, is all the picky call backs for this-and-that. Minor stuff - water is hitting the driveway or sidewalk, one head is a little crooked, they adjusted the controller and now is all screwed up, the grass hasn't come back quick enough, etc. And THAT is the stressful part.

6. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

maybe a bunch of us ought to prop up some lawn chairs, pop a few lawn genies and enjoy the show?

7. LOL....that might be fun......I would hate it if someone did it to me...but I have heard a lot of things..not all good...about this guy...

this is the same guy...that quoted $55 to fix a leak for a client of mine...$5 of it was parts..she agreed and he said:

"I will need the $5 in cash right now so I can go get the materials"

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Now that is funny, no matter how many times I hear it.

9. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

surprised he didn't need 5 more for gas

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I looked at one years ago...really had a bad feeling about it, but had a large
    crew then & thought I needed the work. Put off the measuring until he called
    saying they were going on vacation & he needed a price. Going over I kept
    thinking "where is the sign?". I was measuring away & he commented, " with
    all the measuring you could have put the system in by now." Ah, the 'sign".
    I looked at him, & without a word, climbed into the truck & bailed.
    A day later, I got a call from new clients, nice site, nice clients, money & did
    a system I would'nt have had time if I took the dip...t's job.:)