I am Very, Very New to Irrigation (any advice)

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by soccer911, May 31, 2007.

1. soccer911

soccer911 LawnSite Member

I just passed my irrigation exam put on by the state of Texas. I have not even received my liciense in the mail yet. I thought I would work with an Irrigation professional and try to learn as much as I could. But infromation is priceless when you have a chance to get it from people who have gone before you. I am open to anything anyone has to say.

Thank you,

Kevin Cooksey

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If the lawn sprinkling trade was administered by a union or guild, you'd have served an apprenticeship before ever having a chance at testing for a license. And that would be a fair trade of your labors in exchange for the knowledge of the business.

Absent that arrangement, just what are you offering in exchange for the knowledge that others have accumulated over the decades?

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Why was my response deleted? Don't you guys know sarcasm when you read it?

OK how about this?

Oh yes mister soccer911, we will give you all the knowledge we have, willingly and free of charge. Ask all you want, anytime you want. We'll get on it right away.

Seriously mods, chill a bit. And yes that is sarcasm above as well.

4. soccer911

soccer911 LawnSite Member

DanaMac,

I think my response to you was rated R so it was removed, but not by me.

5. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

sorry guys...I read both responses and thought there was going to be a brawl - lol :rolleyes:

anyway, all is well now

6. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

7. I'm not new to sprinklers as far as being familiar with the basics. But I don't have what you call lots of 'field experience'. I concentrated on gardening more than irrigation.

Read this sight twice http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/

...then if you have questions come back to the forum...be prepared for some interesting comments from the people who are currently in the field, real world situations, not oh any 'old monkey' can slap together some pipe, so go ahead and knock yourself out!

Aloha Bruddah

8. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, so it is already to late to suggest you keeping your day job and whatever has kept you (and your family?) fed up until this point. The next productive suggestion I can give is that you prepare yourself to survive on the brink of starvation with long thankless hours and a home life that no one will envy. If you starve for a sub standard wage for several years, you might have what it takes to become a great repair tech. My gut feeling for you young pups is that by the time you could get to that point, repair techs will be totally extinct and a substitution will have been found. Something along the lines of replace it don't fix it. Bring in the monkeys...............

The smart one on this site are:
    Jon - He got out and is making real money, still finds time to get a "dirt fix" on the side.
    Hayes - He is retiring before this industry gets any worse.
    Mike - Already retired, but keeping a hand in so he can get paid for the company he sold.

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Well said Muds......I don't envy the pups starting out..but Jeez, I did!
    The reason I stuck with it (I'd had other trades) is I saw a chance to contribute to the health of plants, work outdoors (damn the rain) & run my
    own show. Pup, learn the trade from someone you respect, don't have the
    problem that ROTAR has. Then the decision....do I strike out on my own?
    Shiver...I remember that decision...after the shiver, I never regretted it,
    o.k. a few times..ok more than a few after employee issues. Hang in there!:weightlifter:

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I wasn't trying to instigate anything. There is kind of a hazing ritual here in the irrigation forum - ask Rotard!! So don't take it personally. I guess I'm glad to not have seen your response then.