1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I apologize, but can someone explain what this is growing in my yard???

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by tracydr, Sep 29, 2007.

1. tracydr

tracydr LawnSite Member

I am sure this is in the wrong category, but I cannot find any information online. We have lived in our house for about 4 years, and then all of a sudden in the last month or so, these things have been popping up everywhere, seemingly overnight. They are rather big, probably like 4 inches x 4 inches or bigger. They are hard, and are attached to the ground. When I kicked them off, the inside is solid and looks dry like divinity candy or something. They are also hard to get off the ground.

I am beginning to get worried if it is some sort of mold infestation or something, as my 3 year old son has been having allergy issues lately, so it is making me wonder.

I am going to try and post a photo, hoping that it works!

alien spore.jpg
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It may be mold. Show a side pic please.

Mold and mushrooms usually come from decaying organic material. An old tree root system perhaps?
  3. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

Rotting debris in the area --- an old tree stump root from years gone by

If you run over one with the mower it creates enough dust --- looks like an Army smoke screen!!!
  4. adrianrog

adrianrog LawnSite Member

Looks like a mushroom to me. I'm guessing you just had rain? That's usually when you get them. I wouldn't worry too much, maybe pick, bag and discard them if you're worried. As a kid, we would throw them up in the air and hit them with bats.
  5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I think your lawn has cancer, that looks just like a tumor I saw taken off a friend of mines liver.
  6. tracydr

tracydr LawnSite Member

Hi guys,

That's the deal, we live in California which means we haven't had rain for months, and although we use sprinklers these are even growing in area's that the sprinklers do not reach. Also, there is no debris in the area and no old tree's. They are literally growing everywhere....under shrubs, out int he open. Our ground is very dry right now because we haven't started getting our fall rain showers yet.

They are solid, even hard in the middle....and they don't smell like mushrooms or anything. My husband says he knows what puffballs are, and this isn't one of them?
  7. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

Get us a few more pics, maybe zoomed out with a quarter next to them or something like that to gauge the size of these.
  8. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know what that is but I can understand what you are going through. I get all kinds of fungus and mold from time to time I also get mysterious piles of dirt that just appear like someone just dumped a shovelful of dirt on the lawn. But I really got freaked out when this appeared one morning. I took the picture next to the shovel to show how big it was, but also it took the shovel to dig it out of the grass.???

9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Here, I'm going to let you and her do the investigating; it is a wonderful site...

10. tracydr

tracydr LawnSite Member

Photos of another one, pulled out of ground and also cut i half....

This one looks like it has all kinds of sesame seed looking things inside, which is hard to see in the photos...

This one wasn't "hard" in the middle but still wasn't spongy like a mushroom, it was very hard to cut, very firm.