1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I ask the smart ones.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Dogbonz, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

Hi fella's, I'm a great mowing guy,, but my lawn chem needs leave a little to be desired! =(. So Im here to as you this,, look at the pic,,click on it to make it bigger,,,
    thats my front lawn,, dark green closer to the house,, thin and skimmpy out by the road,,, see the green square? how helathy most of the grass looks?. Ok heres the deal,, 2nd growing season of my yard,, planted cheap grass seed first spring, mostly ryes, then overseeded with good fescue. Then i had a litter of pups,,7, this summer,, they went out in the cage in the front yard. 6x8 cage.. I would move it around the yard to keep fresh, not filled with poop, clean grass under them,, that last square is the only spot that far out from the house where the pups were. Now 3 months later,, all the grass where the poo was is thicker, healthier, greener, fuller, then the rest of my grass out by street. ( deep breath)

Now,, what do I need to add to the rest of front lawn to make it look like it has been poo'd on all summer. Poo= good lawn,, but i got more lawn than poo.

Do I need a Nitrogen only fix?,,,, Any ideas? Thanx guys!

Any thoughts?
  2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

have you fertilized ther rest of the yard?
    if not then yes, nitrogen will be your best bet.

you should really have a soil test done to see what you should add.

But a HIGH quality slow release nitrogen will help.
  3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

the lawn needs a good fall feeding. the dogs did a good job in that one spot! I use a 34-0-15 for my fall feeding. straight mineral, you don't want to use slow release this time of year. you will want to put down about 1.5 lbs of N per 1000 Sq. ft.
  4. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

roger that,, and thanx,,, I did run the drag behind dethatcher a few times to try to break up the poo as it was clumpy,, but were talking july auf set in a cage in the front yard a few hours aday to play and sleep , So I know its what every is most present in the stuff thats making my yard grow good, and i did think nitrogen was the one,,,, So is it cool to do that this time of year,, that pic was taken today! or is the grass to dormant for it?
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Lake Odessa's the problem. Move to Woodbury--where they think green squares are art. Too late for this year. But do you have enough poo? Think you could spell out your initials in big block letters?