1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I beat the "lowballer"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Mar 31, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Finally some justice in the Green Industry!!!!!! I gave a quote to a lady and she told me that she was working with another company for a quote as well. She stated the other company would get back to her in a couple of days, where I promptly returned her call and said I would be in the area in a couple of hours to giva an estimate. Well days went by I followed up with her and she was still waiting for the "other guys" estimate. She finally returned my call but with bad news, she told me regretfully that she was going with the "other" company,(he was $3.00 less or so). I told her that I'm sorry to hear this but asked her to ask him about his insurance, references etc. She then sounded a little worried with this guy but she told him she was going with him so she would feel guilty if she told him no now. Well just got a call from her and she is now signing with a legit quality lawn care company, MINE!!! There is some light at the end of the tunnel. :waving:
  2. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Good for you! I did the same thing, a prospective customer said they were getting another estimate, and I "reminded" him to be sure the other guy was licensed and insured...He called today, the lawn is mine. payup
  3. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

Good for you!
  4. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Chalk one more up for the good guys :cool2:
  5. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Good for you Nobagger! Thats how we'll force the lowballers to play the game fair.
  6. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

In my 20 years of doing this no one has ever asked me if I was "licensed and insured"
  7. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

Had the same experience the other day. Got a call from my ad in the paper. Lady said she was getting several bids. I almost told her on the phone not to bother, because I knew I would not be the low-bidder. But things were slow that day, so I did the estimate anyway. Spring cleanup & weekly lawn service for the season. Did a presentation, explained to her what I thought would look good, and how we opperate. Then left her with my proposal. In closing I reminded her that we may not be the cheapest, but we guarantee 100% satisfaction, and we do the job right.

The next day she called, obviously unimpressed with the "other guys" and signed up for the cleanup & weekly service.

Kinda made me feel good that the lowballers cant win 'em all. And just goes to show that you can't pre-qualify everybody over the phone.

8. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

That's why you gotta volunteer that info. I understand, you're new at this...
    Just kidding, but i believe in mentioning it if it might make a difference, and you probably would too, if you were.

PS your profile says 15 years in business, I reckon it needs updating.
  9. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

3 dollars differance in the price? man that must have been a life altering decision for that woman huh!
  10. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

U must only do residential, because most commercial customers ask for at least a certificate of insurance for gen liability and workmans comp