I beleive I am out growing my plugr

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by mac43rn, Sep 24, 2006.

1. mac43rn

mac43rn LawnSite Member

Tell me what you think.

I am a solo operator and really, really love my job. Equipment consist of 36" exmark tthp, exmark Lazer Z 60" (needs a new hydro), plugr pb800. Last year I started offering aeration and it was more then steady. This year is absolutely out of control. Not enough time in the day and more calls coming in. I started flyers and yard signs advertising aeration, over seeding and lawn renovation. The problem I am running into is the pb 800 seems like it is holding me back. It is the best wb aerator I have ever used and it is great for those small lawns (5000-8000 sq feet). However, I have been giving bids out for lots over an acre and getting them. My prices for aeration range from $15 per thousand for aeration and $35-40K for overseeding so I don't feel I am giving my service away, just doing a good job of advertising, selling and closing the deal.

I have thought about purchasing a compact lawn tractor with a 3pt hitch along with a turfco tow behind aerator. I figure this would run a little more then I would want to spend, however, the tractor would allow even more job opportunities.

I am also looking at the z-plug aerator with the hopper option.

I understand this is a problem, but I would rather have too much work then not enough.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, check out this z-plug that just sold on ebay. If you read the item description you can see it states the item can be picked up in Glen Lake, MD then if you scroll down a bit farther it also states it can be picked up in Lexington, KY. I emailed the auction service four times and I finally received an email stating it was located in Lexington, KY. Lexington is only three hours from my location and I would have easily drove that far to pick it up. However, I did not receive the email until two hours before the auction ended. When the email came through I was out doing aerations. Oh well, I am sure another will come my way.

Best Regards,

mac

2. mac43rn

mac43rn LawnSite Member

Sorry, I was typing too fast. I do know how to spell believe.:)

3. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

z plugger :weightlifter:
    i am a solo operatoe also and boudgt a second one so my 13 yo son can help me get them done.

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a Mits 15hp diesel with 3 pt about 4 years ago on ebay. I also bought a Classen 3 pt aerator from an old member here. I do ALL my lawns with it. It is a hi/lo split manual trans. It is a little tough on real small lawns and I do wish I had a WB aerator at times but so far so good. I get so busy in spring/fall with other things that I don't advertise aeration much. I will telll you that it is a great set up for large lawns. The tractor has turf tires and doesn't weigh more than a Z. Look into grey market tractors and you will pay for it in 10 jobs.

aug4 1048.jpg

5. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I also had a plugr that I loved but had too good a chance to trade for a SIdewinder bed shaper, so , I know folks are gonna say it is not a good idea, but I am going with the smaller 36 Husqvarna tow behind, and I am hitching it to my Hustler WB, and standing on it. The hustler is such a MONSTER walkbehind, that I think it will work great, but am renting one next week (tow aerator) to make sure. I weigh 160 lbs. so should all come together nice, but you never know till you try.

6. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

You need to look at the new aerators Turfco has called the TurnAers. They are high production rolling aerators you can drive and ride behind. Two sizes depending on the size of properties and gates you have. You can also drop off the riding attachment and use them as walking units for trimming and small areas. One drop pin the riding sulky is back on and you are back to high speed production. The larger unit will do over an acre an hour and it will do unbelievable slopes while giving you a ride. Operator friendly... I am 59 with a bad back and I can run it for hours. see them at Turfco.com or
    call 800-679-8201