"I bet you hate guys like us"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Aug 18, 2001.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I stopped today to chat with someone I hadn't seen before in this business. He was cutting a lawn around the corner from where I have a couple. He had a decent set-up.. 6x12 enclosed trailer, 60" Lazer and handheld stuff. He was cutting a property close to 4 acre and I was curious as to how his pricing was... so I asked. He said it was $130. So his pricing is decent... He said he has been doing it for 5 years on the weekends, so his wife doesn't have to work. He later said (rather proudly) that he makes $600-900 and doesn't pay any taxes. He said, "I bet you hate guys like us... because there's plenty of us around".

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

he sounds like a average ""Lawnsiter""

3. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Thats the point behind all this... educate and improve our industry.

4. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Thats the point behind all this... educate and improve our industry.

Exactly. As opposed to criticizing everything somebody does that you disagree with.

5. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

<i>Exactly. As opposed to criticizing everything somebody does that you disagree with.</i>

What do you mean? Please specify.

Chuck

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Im part time,but i pay taxes.Honestly,if you do your accounting right,you wont end up paying any more than if you worked for someone else,especially if your reinvesting in your business.The positive side of working legit is,you can get a loan easy,try buying a 160K house,when your income only shows you can swing a 70K home.have great credit,and if needed,you can collect compensation on your actual pay if your hurt.In the end that guy's cheating will come back to him,and he will pay in another way.

7. John,
    Very good point!

That's how the cookie collector nails people for income tax evasion. The banks may let it slide, but the goverment only trusts god.

John

8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure there is ALOT of people down here not paying taxes. I know I do everything by the book and don't have to look over my shoulder. If I didn't, I don't think I would be telling people. Not too smart in my opnion.

9. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

that's the exact problem my roomate is having ......he makes his living on tips .......but does not claim em ....so his reportable income is way less than what he brings ..... he's in the process of buying a home n it's tough getting credit

as far as the lawn guy goes hey that's been part of this n other industry's for years .....but he really is exposing himself (and familiy) to legal issues n penalty's ==>not the sharpess tool in the shed

education to those out there .....explaining the long run effects n benefits of performing as a legit business ......having income can be creatively (legaly) off set with a great CPA ..... claiming ALL the deductible's & using expenses to off set profits

in the start we all did those things ( I did ) but as the years rolled ...had to take a more serious stand ......for the long haul .....to be around years down the road ......grow strong ......to sleep at night ;->

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

"try buying a 160K house,when your income only shows you can swing a 70K home"

banks dont care how much you make anymore, they just run a credit check and if your score is high enough they give you the loan.

Just got through refinancing the ol hacienda and the woman at the bank, when taking my app, told me how much I needed to put down on the app to get the amount I wanted. She said nowadays all they do is input your SS# and software decides if you get the money or not. That and a reasonable appraisal.

So maybe being a scrub isnt as bad anymore as its made out to be...(j/k)