1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I bit the bullet and have a question.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Frosty03, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

I work in a service industry. I have a regular route and decided to start asking my regular customers if they were interested in lawn service. I got quite a few good responses.

So...I purchased a 6x12 trailer and an Exmark 36" TTHP. I have a Home Depot John Deere L120 as well. My dealer told me to keep it and use it on the not-so-nice lawns as it was gonna wear out anyway and I would not get a good price on it if I sold it.

Ok..got about 5 accounts out the gate. So..I stopped to get a hotdog from a street vendor today. The guy owns the business the hotdog cart is parked in front of...Hmmm...I am ever the salesman.

I noticed his parking lot was dirty, no grass...cigarette butts and sand everywhere.

I mentioned what I am doing part-time (I am licensed and insured now) and if he would be interested in me blowing off his parking lot every week. It would make the area around his hotdog cart look much nicer.

Yes he answered, but I am getting it repaved in a week, come see me after that. I also have a strip of grass out back and you can edge it too.

So, two swipes with the mower and about 15' of walkway to edge with a parking lot that holds about 20 cars.

My question is what would you charge this account for this weekly service. It will be year-around...52 visits. I am thinking 10 minutes tops to do this service.

Thanks in advance. :usflag:

2. Burch's Lawn Care  LLC

Burch's Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Member

well you need to set a minimum for what you do, like my minimum is 35 for mow, blow and go, and i may even edge for that too.

also you might work out a deal if hes willing to do a little advertising for you like allowing you to put some flyers at his business.
  3. tteckster

tteckster LawnSite Member

Just ask for free lunch every day!
  4. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Talk about getting sick of hot dogs real quick.
  5. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

If its on your route, figure the time it will take...

sounds like about 30 min or so to me.

Do you have to worry about cars being there, or how close to the road??? If so, skip it...no need to start using your new insurance!
  6. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

I can go early in the morning...no one there and an empty lot. Also, there is a service road right behind the building, so parking is not a problem. The parking lot ends at a sidewalk, then the highway.

He sells dogs on Friday, saturday and Sunday, so I am thinking Thursday evening or early (like 6:30) on Friday. He opens for business at 8:00 am.

I like hotdogs, but not that much.

I am thinking about $120 a month.

Thanks for the replies,

7. RLSLandscaping

RLSLandscaping LawnSite Member

will he let you live on that strip of grass? like pitch a tent? lol...35 sounds right mb even 30...it sounds like he's the type to let u advertise there for a better price...such high traffic during lunch n crap...nothing out there but a hot dog stand and a landscape flyer with mustard on it lol...no for real though sounds like it could produce a fair amount of work if u can set up a nice looking flyer
  8. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

The minute I leave my last job until the time I finish and am sitting in my truck on the next is how I calculate my total time. This method seems to put jobs into a better perspective when bidding.