I bought synthetic oil (first time)..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bill8379, Apr 11, 2008.

1. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

So I just want to be sure I can put this stuff in all my machines or should I just stick to the trucks.

The machines would be a 36 Toro Kawi 15 HP, some toro 21's, a blue bird power rakes, and a bear cat Vac.

The oil is Valvoline SYNpower full synthetic 10W-30.

I did see the Mobile1 but it was almost $40, this stuff was $28 at walmart.

2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i run pennzoil synthetic in all my mowers and my generator

3. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

yes you can run it. Make sure its broken in. Another thought too is if it has a ton of hours why change now?

4. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

The toro 36 likely has less then a hundred hours, the 21" toros are almost trash. I'm going to replace them with the heavy duty commercial 21's. I'm bad for oil changing but I need this stuff to last as long as possible. They cost so much money.

Same with the trucks, I only started changing the oil in them myself last year. I'm going to go synthetic for two strokes as well.

My main concern was that the 36 toro asks for SAE30 oil while the synthetic stuff I bought is 10W-30.

5. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

You can run it in anything. Broken in or not. Corvettes come stock from factory with synthetics in their engines.

6. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

most company run synthetic blends in everything these days. give u a better life or so they say. id say that the normal oil is tryd and true but theres new engines on the market everyday creating more heat and power

7. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

It has been proven that if you dont break it in the rings will not seat. My echo guy told me that he sees it all the time, guys running synthetic in there stuff without breaking it in and it comes in broke down. Switch out the gas and within 15 minutes the compression starts returning. Take it for what it is worth I tend to listen to people who actually work on the stuff.

8. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

You can use Amsoil from the get go with no ill effects. Dodge Vipers and Corvettes all come with Synthetic installed. Usually it is a good practice to run until the first oil change with the installed oil because there are a lot of metal contaminants from break in and engine assembly floating around. Then you can install the synthetic without worrying about those break in contaminants.

Frue, not arguing with you, just pointing out that some manufactures install it from the get go. Do what ever makes you feel more comfortable.

9. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo's are junk anyway so i am sure hes busy all the time.:laugh: if were talking about 2 Cycle i run the multi mix stuff for 50:1 or better and we work everything hard when we use it. If i cant fix it its pretty much junk. if my dad cant fix it then its forsure junk. 15 years as a toro tech then 10 years small engine mechanic for the city here

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Chevy had major problems when they used synthetic from the factory. Many complaints from customers.

Here is a quote from a NASA engineer on the subject:

I am a NASA Engineer at
    Marshal Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama. My field of work is
    Tribology which is the study of friction, wear, and lubrication.

Do not run synthetics in a new rebuild. A new engine needs the added
    friction allowed by mineral oils to set the rings properly. Chevy found
    this out on the corvette. These cars came from the factory with Mobil 1 and
    owners brought them back because of smoking and oil consumption (rings did
    not seat). Run a good single weight oil for the first 2000 miles. We found
    Havaline 30 to be a good mineral oil - in fact we use it for our standard.

Phil Hal (NASA)