I bought the Lesco wb now some ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DEA, Sep 18, 2004.

1. DEA

DEA LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for all of your help and information.
    But I finally decided on the 48 inch Lesco walk behind hydro (used).This will take some getting used to (1st. walkbehind)Can you say "Scalping"
    So now some questions.
    Deck pitch-should I use the upper or lower holes? The previous
    owner had it located in the upper holes.I've leveled a few humps down.Also, is that measured from the deck or the blade tips?
    Type of blades-gator blades or ? Also, does the mulching kit work
    very well with them for leaves? Or what is the best set up for
    cleanup?what about doubles?
    I also found out that the sulkey doesn't work very well at all
    on hillsides. It works good going up and down hills but when coming
    up the hill, the mower needs more weight on the front to keep the deck
    The 17 horse power Kawasaki engine-what rpm's should it operate at?
    Right now its around 3800 rpm with blades engaged. According to the hr.meter/tach.
    Any other suggestions or opinions?
    Thanks again,
  2. DEA

DEA LawnSite Member

hello anyone!!
  3. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

congrats on your new mower.I have the NEW Lesco 48 H/D float deck. Not sure if thats the one you have? Anyway I havent scalped any lawns with mine, and its the first w/b i have used I have a Z also.I have my pins for the deck in the top holes for the float. If they are in the other holes it will not float.(Fixed position).I use the stock high-lift blades.This is the first year the mower has been out so i dont know about the mulch kit or leaves.As for the sulky, Mine does pretty damn good on hills. Sideways or up and down. The RPMs sound fine to me too.Here is a pic. Is this the same mower?
  4. chefdrp

Picture 069.jpg
  5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

DEA--congrats man.......you don't sound too happy with your purchase though.

I have an older lesco 48-belt and I hope your unit cuts as well as mine. as for scalping, you live in EASTERN KY. they don't make a mower that wont scalp in EASTERN KY. HAHA J/K man!

as for things like the mower needs weight on the front.....don't complain. put a weight on the front!

I think you need some seat time with that unit and you will be happy.

if not. PM me...we don't live that far apart...... :waving:

6. DEA

DEA LawnSite Member

It is a fixed deck.Sorry,I should have noted that.
    I am happy with it especially compared to the prices of a new one and some of the other brands.And I do agree on the seat time :dizzy: my first ride was an experience.
    Chiefdrp couldn't tell much from the pic's but I have seen the floating deck.
    Do you have the Lesco sulky.When going sideways on a hillside w/sulky it wants to drift down hill really bad.And then I try to compensate the other tire will spin a lot.Going up hill the front gets real light and lifts,could be me but I think I will put some weight on the front.How much would you use?
    Geogunn were do you live in Tn.?Your'e right about scalping in E.Ky.that happens on a riding lawnmower
  7. chefdrp

Yes mine is a float deck and i do have a Lesco sulky.