1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I broke a window

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by siclmn, May 8, 2004.

1. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

Today while weed eating I broke a sliding glass window. Who pays? I have no special insurance for my one man business. I once inquired about insurance many years ago and it was $900 a month, no way.
  2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

You broke it, you bought it. Sorry
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

pay for it to get fixed, and then step out and get insurance. It will be the best investment that you ever make
  4. Camelot Gardens Uk

Camelot Gardens Uk LawnSite Member

Last year was my first and worst! I broke 3 conservatory windows and the rear quarter light on a Shogun while it was moving. Conservatory windows $180 each, Shogun $360...

I am being careful so far this year.
  5. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

one of my employees broke something, but it was my house, god was he lucky, cause if it was a customers house i would have killed him, i almost fired him for not being careful, but im giving him a second chance, but i think ill be getting rid of him soon.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I remember the first time and so far the last time (knock on wood) that I broke a window. I was mowing a motel complex and it was my first day there. A stone flew up and hit the office window breaking it. Well, I didn't realize it until later when I came in to get paid. The guy told me not to worry about it this time, but the next time it would be coming out of my pocket.
  7. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

YOU CUT CORNERS by not having insurance. You've been gambling for "many years" that you wouldn't have a loss. Well you finally lost one. Time to pay up. You broke the window. Be glad you didn't do something like injure someone where you would have a huge expense. Act like a business and get insurance!

8. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

why even thinkof firing him, accidents happen
  9. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

yeah, but it was a big green trellas, and he nocked it with the mower, and i gotta weld it back, its worth like 2 grand. its the princaple of the thing, if he was careful and paying attention, he would have moved it over a little... and ontop of all that, i have to tell him to make sure he raises or lowers the mower if need be, but yet when i go back there to edge, there are clumps and i hvae to tell him to raise it and cut it again (sometimes). stuff like that pisses me off cause i tell him EVERYTIME "dont be affraid to raise or lower the mower!" but yet he wont, and also, hes a small guy and i think the blower might blow him away into the sky (jk) hes cool, and hes my freind, but hes not fit for the job. i think next week might be the last time.
  10. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

heck, i remember much worse than that. i was a production manager back in washington d.c. and i was a few things i wish i wouldn't have. one of my best guys had trouble with a 52" hydro encore walk behind with velke. he didn't put the lever in neutral and put the handle brakes on, 1 can undone and the mower went straight through the customers garage and ruined his garage door. if that wasn't bad enough, the same thing happened 12 minutes later, but that time the mower took out the guy's wooden picket fence(white), a really nice one at that. I never saw my guy wanting to cry so hard for what had happened. he has allways been loyal , and was ex military marine.the other time was when one of my guys was trimming an edge by the back of a customers house and a small pebal got kicked up and blew out the customers back patio door, what a mess it was, i had to call it in because the other guy wouldn't. now, that was exspensive to replace. noted to say, we went with stick edgers with guards after all that. be thankful it wasn't something even more exspensive, like a mower taking out a customers car, now that would be horable to see.