I broke something today..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Nov 8, 2001.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

My customer's swing set. The thing almost came crashing down on my head.

Other than sprinkler heads (when I was in Florida) this is my second mishap in 9 years. The first being a rock through a car window.. 9 years ago.

The swing set is one of those redwood style with the clubhouse and all. I clipped one leg of the "A" frame and I guess the pressure caused the opposite leg to snap right in half. :( The thing was pretty dry and brittle. Oh well.

I was there doing a leaf clean-up and it was pretty breezy, making things difficult. So I put the chute deflector thing down to keep the leaves low. That's right.. I clipped the swing set with that deflector. :mad: This was the only time all year I put the freakin' thing down and I'm paying for it...

Just wanted to share...

What are some things that have happened to you? Anyone have a perfect record... not breaking anything.. ever?

2. casey

casey Guest

Broke & or damaged this year:
    5 sprinkler heads-2 car windows-4 door mats-1 inflatable swimming pool-1 basement window-backyard steps(scraped)-wooden fence(destroyed)-countless plants(weed-wacked)-3 cars (scratched)-1 hose-2 electrical cords-countless tennis balls & small toys-1 gate-1 shed(ran a WB into it). Probably more will come to me.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Casey, you have had enough bad luck for all of us. ;)

4. Mgardner

Mgardner LawnSite Member

: Yes it was a stump grinder I had going, it was the third stump on these peoples lot .I was grubbin it out of a river rock bed and had raked the rock away or so I thought. The Stump grinder caught a rock or two & I heard em buonce off the siding of garage ,no big deal, then a couple of em thwapped the side of the kids trooper sittin in the drive. Just peperred it good so I didn`t say nothing about it. Then on another account I had the rpms up on a 32 walk behind because thats all you could get in the gate, and it seemed like the easy way to clean up arround the pool when the lift blades lifted the blue pool carpet up into the deck ,made a terrible sound and stalled the 14hp Kaw. just as the ladys live in body builder walked out the back door to as me my "proffesionall" advise... It was a good account till Bubba brought home a Rotweiler and penned it in the back yard. It was tough to keep it nice after that .

5. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

i m with eric on this one about casey and his bad luck sounds like he needs to slow down lol I have been mowing full time since 1993 and havent even come close to casey on hitting or breaking that many things

6. casey

casey Guest

I didn't personally break or damage all those items but I definately contributed to the list. Forgot about the sapling that was weed wacked into oblivion over a couple months.

7. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

Only one to really talk about was when I was cutting back shrubs and nicked a copper gas line with my hedge clippers. Propane going everywhere! Couldn't find the tank at first, hid behind bushes and trees, but got the gas off and called the Fire Dept. just in case. Cost me $148.00 to fix the line and the homeowner laughed and said he wished he could have seen my face when that gas started flowing...All in all turned out OK...

8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I weed whacked the cable for the cable TV at our Catholic Parsonage one time, but since we did not have a Priest living there I said nothing. The next sunday I found out that Priests from the neighboring city that served our parish had meetings on Wed. nights there and when the cable TV did not work I was in deep deep doo doo.

9. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

cp: what in the heck was a gas line doin in the hedges?? lol

10. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

Yea really! That's kinda what I thought, but you had to be there.:D