I broke two French Doors in one month

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by guven, Aug 7, 2006.

1. guven

guven LawnSite Member

I was wondering ,what do you guys do when you brake something, next year I am going to drop 7-9 clients because of racks. I have insurance.
    have you ever put in a claim ?did your insurance go up if you did?

2. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

if its my fault, i'll pay for it. i tell clients whom have rocks in their beds or driveway, i assume no responsibilty if my mower or weedeater hits one and breaks a window or dents a car. many years ago when i was doing fert and insect spraying, i was mowing this 25 condo association. i only did the front sections. they wanted me to fert and spray for lawn insects. i agreed to it but told my best friend whom was the assoc prez, that i was concerned about the residents backyards, as ea homeowner did his own backyard and i had no control over as to whether or not they would control any insect infestations, and might then spread to the front lawns. you guessed right, some backyard bugs moved to the front. i thought i was going to get sued to death! they approached my liability insurer-whom refused to settle based on the backyard bug issue. then they threatened to sue me, then they impeached the assoc prez and harassed me for years through letters! hence, i no longer do fert or spray. the harassment got so bad, i just quit and moved on. lesson learned the hard way!*trucewhiteflag*

3. guven

guven LawnSite Member

Thank you Sir,
    You are right but I am afraid to say them it is not my fault, I should have not taken this kind of yard, no grass in back yard and everywhere is rack , no driveway paving, all 3/4 racks.I did the mistake at the begining taking this yard. I am not making money from the people, be weekly cut takes 30 minutes and $20 , The homeowner call me at the and of the last April, I did yard clean up for him , when I billed him the yard clean up I charged extra $20 for lawn mowing.then the guy call me two weeks later told me that mow the grass every other week , I could not tell him at the same time I want more money I was doing it for 20 bucks until today < when I fix the door , I am goint to tell him , I am sorry I have to drop you . long story .

4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

What in the hell is a rack? Are you trying to communicate the word "ROCK"?

5. guven

guven LawnSite Member

Yes I mean Rock
    sorry my spelling.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

If you can afford to fix the doors without your insurance then don't even think twice and fix them if it was your fault.
    The biggest mistake you can make is to even call and report it to your insurance. The sneaky little bas*75ds will mark it as an "occurance" even of they don't pay a dime out. If you continue to have "occurances" or Lord help you, a CLAIM, your rates will increase. The other thing that might happen is that your company will drop you and you will be searching for insurance elsewhere.
    Insurance is for that event that you cause that will break you. Otherwise, suck it up, do what you have to do but don't even let them know what happened. Good Luck.

7. guven

guven LawnSite Member

Very Good info , thank you very much