I can hear the EPA already

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by all ferris, Jan 14, 2005.

1. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah! soon we will have to register, inspect and do emmission testing to our mowers and string trimmers! ;)

3. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

It's a never ending fight.
  4. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

Here in California all my gas powered tools already have to meet a emissions set by the state. Price's of tools? I don't know I buy what I need and I only buy in California so I don't know if the price's are higher. I was running a 21 Lawnboy about 5 years ago, and the shop I deal with told me that they can't sell them in California anymore, because of the emissions.
  5. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I allways wanted to know why california is so special (not being a smart ass or anything) Why when you read some products it states that this will pass or will not pass all state emmissions except california? I always wanted to know why cali is so concerned with their emmission standards. SOmeone want to tell me?
  6. It's all about smog smog smog!

Due to the fact that we have bigger population than many states, obviously we're going to produce more smog.

I know the city of Bakersfield (180 miles south)gets a lot of smog from the San Francisco Bay Area because of trade winds.

Ca.has a hard time meeting Federal E.P.A requirements and we are forced to have stricter emission controls so to meet Fed standards in order to receive highway and other type of funds from the Feds.

Oh, let not forget that there are a lot of environmental wackos in this state. Heck, we have enough oil to supply northern Ca with gas, but the locals don't want allow Oil rigs off our coast for fear of a spill of oil.

Ca, has been at c.a.r.b (California Air Resources Board) II levels since 98, I think the rest of the country didn't have c.a.r.b 2 levels until last year.
  7. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

it's because their state is filled with girly men. :)

the real reason, besides the girly men, is that california has steped up the EPA's program for small engine emssions by double. in other words, they are on the carb III emissions standards, while the rest of use are still on carb II. the whole nation will eventually be on carb tier III. some day I think that the EPA will have us using batterys instead of engines ;)
  8. In case you didn't know this, if you have a lawnboy prior to the ban, you can still replace the motor with a new short block. Hard to find, but if you got the connections, its possible.
  9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

gus buster, I thought that california switched to carb tier III in january?
  10. JasonX

JasonX LawnSite Member

Well here I go

Diesel trucks (pickups, 18 wheels etc.), construction equipment, and all those other vehicles only have to pass a safety inspection to be on the road. And the construction equipment well I don’t think there is any regulation. Also all those damn industrial plants and power plants that send out x metric tons of pollution piss me off. I am no tree hugger but the government takes away our 2 cycle mowers and messes with our trimmers to make them more environmentally friendly. If the government was not in bed with big business such as the power plants and other industrial polluters then the biggest polluters could reduce a moderate amount of pollution and we would not have to get rid of the best mowers (2 cycles). I see diesels every day blowing black smoke out of their stacks. I am not trying to bash diesels but if they would just made them pass a diesel emissions test yearly like cars then there would not be all this black smoke coming out of their stacks as they accelerate. It would just be easier to tell all those tree huggers to go to hell. Then we would not have to see one industry suffer over some emission compliance program by the government (EPA). If someone has to comply it should be some of the biggest polluters out there a.k.a. big business. They have all those lobbyist in congress and control the politicians with political donations. There is also the revolving door in government (politicians become lobbyist and lobbyist become politicians) but that is a whole other topic. If they could just make some of the big industrial polluters reduce their emissions and make diesel engines be in tune then we could have our 2 cycles. But there are no lobbyists for the green industry to allow the 2 cycle manufacturers to keep producing some of the best and longest lasting engines. And to the tree huggers f*ck off.

Just my biased opinion