1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

i can hit a refinery with a rock....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Sep 15, 2008.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

from where i live yet gas still went up to 3.99 from 3.61 because of ike. i know were not getting our gas from ike so why the increase on us? someone explain that one to me.

randy.

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

gas here in Bama went from 3.49 thursday to 4.29 todat

3. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Chevron's big over here. I once read that if we paid local prices, instead of having it evenly distributed across the nation (hmmmph) - that our gas would be WELL under a dollar/g.

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

If it goes much higher Im going fishing, I can walk to the lake

5. loneryder

loneryder LawnSite Member

I was born in Ashland and everybody used to work for AO or Armco.

6. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

same here haha and you can actually make money fishing instead of losing it

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

You know, the gouging started even before the hurricane hit land.
    Then saturday morning, I was on my way into town for breakfast and I noticed gas at a store had gone up $1 overnight to $4.79. The conversations at McDonalds focused on the price hike and everyone was flapping their gums about the government and this and that and yadda yadda yadda.
    I spoke up and said someone should just burn the gougers. That would put a stop to it.
    Ha ha ha!
    The conversations stopped cold and everyone was looking a little perplexed!
    I told them all they were just a bunch of old women and stop flapping their gums, it makes it seem worse to just harp on and on about a bad situation.
    Still, I would watch if someone took matters into their own hands!

Former munitions maintenence technician for the US Air Force.
    I DO know how to do things but, I would rather provoke and just watch! Tony

8. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

I can tell you in 3 Simple Words.... GREED ! GREED ! GREED !!!
    the price of oil has DROPPED 47% in the past 6 months, but the price of gas at the pump has not dropped 1 cent/.... they raise the price through the roof on the SLIGHTEST RUMOUR but but with a 47% DECREASE in the price of Oil they havent droped the price of gas hardly anything. and when they Do, they raise it 20 and 30 cents at a time but MIGHT drop it by 1 or 2 cents.... PURE GREED !!!!!

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the data above. Oil today fell below $100/barrel, 35% off of the high. Our gas price in town here in MN, $3.75 which is only $0.20 off of the all time high here. And I know others down south were getting gouged for $5ish. There is no one party at fault I feel....the entire oil/gas supply chain is totally, totally out of hand greedy on our backs. There is big money being made at the consumer's expense, and those in the supply chain making the big money sure as heck aren't going to change their ways. Things need to change, but it will be a slow, slow process. If there is any one thing harming the U.S. more than others now, it is foreign oil and the petro supply chain.

10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Many gas stations here have shut down the pumps. They either can't afford to pay for gas and/or ran out. Gas prices never did go back down to pre Katrina prices:hammerhead: They could hit $5 + and that will become the norm too, like $3 + has.