I Can Mow A Lawnw Twice As Fast Now: Is It Better To Keep Prices The Same?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Katie_A_C, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Katie_A_C

Katie_A_C LawnSite Member

Well, when I started out last season it was taking me one hr. to mow a lawn and I was charging $30, which is about $5-$10 less than most of the flyer's that I see. I was cutting only on my parents street and I never advertised the price, I just figured that since I am a rookie, I will charge less.

By the end of the season I was cutting those same lawns in 40 min. and with my new ZTR, I should be cutting those lawns in 25min. by next season. So basically my hrly. rate almost doubled because I learned how to mow and trim efficiently and next year it will increase even more with the new ZTR. :clapping:

I was considering raising my price by $5 but I have decided to keep my price the same and just figure out more ways to get the lawns cut faster to make more money. This seems easier and my customers will be happier without a price increase and I will likely get even more customers who are paying more currently. I think $30 in 25min is more than fair considering I don't have far to drive to any of the houses.:walking:
  2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Remeber, the job didn't get any smaller, you just got faster.
  3. dekalb lawn man

dekalb lawn man LawnSite Member

I would keep your prices the same for your existing clients and try raising a little for the new clients. You will make more money and still have a strong client base.
  4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Don't forget wear & tear on equipment from running it harder & faster. I would keep their prices the same & raise new ones.
  5. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

exactly. the reason you have gotten faster is you have started to invest in some bigger equipment. Keep your prices the same. Also as you grow you will find you will have lots more expenses such as insurance if you don't already and also if you hire employees you have not only their salary but also workers comp and all of their taxes that you have to pay your half of.
  6. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Definitely DO NOT LOWER your prices. They are paying for a service. Would you charge them more if you were using a 21" push mower and it was taking you 10 times as long to do the job? You have more overhead now that you have to pay for the ZTR. If and when you get insurance, license, and workers comp- your overhead will go up even more. If anything you should charge them more because they have a professional doing the job for them and not some "lawnboy" cutting the yard. You are "manicuring their lawn".
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you're doing it in less time, then you HAVE to lower the price. If you were doing it for $30, then you need to cut it almost in half. The reason I say almost, is that the trimming and cleanup still takes the same time. Then,... a few years later, when you get a mower like a Lazer, you can do the lawns for 5 to 7 dollars.
  8. Katie_A_C

Katie_A_C LawnSite Member

Well, I figured one doller per minute is more than fair but even if I get the $30 lawns to 20 min. I will keep the price at least at $30. :nono:
  9. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

hey kaite, have you got my messages about what area's you work in?
  10. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I had this old man..in his 90's that I was mowing for when i had a Cub Cadet lawn tractor. It as taking me a god 35 minutes to mow his yard and he was NOT going to pay one cent more than $20. Well, the next season I stepped up to a 60" ZTR and I started mowing the yard in about 20 minutes. He felt like he shouldn't have to pay as much since it didn't take me as long. I just referred him to the local ****** who would spend all day mowing a yard with a 20" Murray for $10.