1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I can not believe some people's thought process

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, May 9, 2011.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

As many of us know, its been raining in several areas and we had over 11" of rain in April and rain in May until the end of last week. THE GROUND IS STILL SOAKED! Ive had 2 people call to cancel services because we haven't been there to mow yet. Even after explaining to them the ground doesn't dry up in a day or two with this much water they still said well we expected to see you bla, bla. I just don't get how people expect us to mow with 300,500 an 1k lb mower's. And these are the people who just sent back their agreements, oh....last week or so!
  2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I have a comment that I reserve for people with unrealistic expectations: "I'm a landscaper, not a magician" said in a matter of fact, not a sarcastic tone.
  3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

You need to find a way to cut it without putting a heavy azz mower om there. If you don't see puddles then you "should" be able to cut it with something smaller. I was in the same boat this first few weeks. I managed to do all the ones that didn't have laying water. Sure they came out looking worse then they would under normal conditions but the customer was already informed that it would be that way. I told them once the weather is closer to normal, it will look better. No sense in loosing money because of it. Get out there and push it if you have too. Think, "I need to make sure the customer is happy" even if it takes twice as long. At least you're not loosing customers.
  4. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

We've been fortunate around here, but if I were in your guys shoes I would push it if that's what it took to keep from losing the account.
  5. bc3xx0

bc3xx0 LawnSite Senior Member

I drove by a local business today and it had nice big mud stripes!! I can't believe they actually mowed it!! Looked like total crap!

I guess its a no win situation. You either don't mow it and get bitched at or mow it and get bitched at for looking like crappola.
  6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

those are the same folks that will complain when you leave grass goo wads all over cause you mowed in the rain. you can't win
  7. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I have 1,200 and 1,500 pound machines, and if the grass is dry enough to cut halfway decent, in other words, it isn't raining, and the ground is not soft enough where I am in danger of getting stuck, I will usually go ahead and mow. As for the standing water, we've mowed several with standing water the past couple of weeks. Muddy tracks? Sure, but those are temporary.

We have one account of almost 3 acres that is extremely wet. Water even runs out of the hillside by the house in wet weather. Three weeks ago, we got a bunch of rain, so only mowed the area immediately around the house, which is higher ground. Last week, we mowed the whole lawn, much of it with standing water. The wife told my wife she thought it was too wet. Well, it was, but this is a fescue lawn, and two weeks growth is pushing a foot tall in places. If you let it go another week, you are going to be taking an extra hour at least to get it cut, and it is still going to look like crap. It is a judgment call. I'd rather get it down to a manageable height, and leave some mud stripes, as to go back and cut 15 to 18 inch grass and try to make it look decent. One little rain, and the mud stripes disappear. Same thing with the next cutting.

Ultimately, it is up to the customer. If they complained about me cutting, I'd not do so, but I'd also explain nicely that I was going to have to charge more if I wait and let it dry out completely before mowing, because it is going to take me twice as long to get it cut.
  8. j-ville native

j-ville native LawnSite Senior Member

after heavy rains you should notify your new customers that their lawn needs to dry up before you mow so it doesn't leave tracks

KINGMADE LawnSite Member

Agreed a phone call goes a long ways.
  10. yardatwork

yardatwork LawnSite Senior Member

You're in PA...same place I am. We've been mowing for a month now...even in the rain. PA is made up of clay, slate, sand stone, etc...MOW, MOW, MOW! If you start to sink...back up, skip areas. I mow with a TORO Z450 and a TORO Z500...haven't had an issue other than being able to bag without clogging. Maybe you should have at least shown up and let them send you away or maybe call them if you're planning to skip for that long of a period.