I can see it coming

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Macdiesiel, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Macdiesiel

Macdiesiel LawnSite Member

Hey guys I can see it coming.I have a new account good price but picky customer,after 25yrs in this game do I want to keep him.I can see this customer calling every time after I cut them.Should I keep them for the season or should I blow him out before the season starts?Small lawn 1/4 acre $50.00 mulch beds everywhere,very tight-equipment to do the job 36" walk behind and push mower,appoxement time to do job 1/2 hour.

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

@ $50 a cut and 30mins to do it, I'd keep it. With a average $100 an hour, thats pretty good money.

3. Ronniecoleman

Ronniecoleman LawnSite Member

Why is he calling after every visit? That would be the reason for concern.

4. Macdiesiel

Why? Because employies arn't perfect.I do average $100 an hour if not more,I keep my lawns tight.Residential I do naighborhoods I do cut deals but I don't undercut.Once you get to a certain point in bussiness,you have to make a minimum,if not stay at home or work for someone else.
    He's not calling,our grass season hasn't really started yet,I would think in TX though you are already cutting weekly.But I can see him calling weekly.Haven't you ever had a picky customer that is never satisfied.I just saying is it worth the hassel?

5. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

In business, you are going to have customers, call, ask questions, be picky, ect.

I have a few customers who always comment about this, that, or the other. I just answer their questions and move on. I have had the customers that complain about everything, and I let them complain. If it was that bad they would drop me, but why not get the income in the meantime.

6. Macdiesiel

PLC- Don't cut yourself short on prices,I see your just getting started,if you start with low prices it will be so much harder to get your prices up to market prices.Your worth more

7. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd wait and see if he does call after every visit. If he has a valid beef that's one thing. If he's just another pita, it doesn't matter to me what he's paying, I'd kick him to the curb.

8. Macdiesiel

Scag G, I thought I was the only one who used pita as a word ,And agree with you thanks,I have charge past accounts the PITA charge when I have done naighbors with same size lawn for cheaper.

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

thanks Mac, I'll keep that in mind. I haven't even gotten started yet! I should have everything I need by the end of the week.

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

$50 a cut for what you describe is a good price. Keep him for now and if he really starts bugging you midseason about non material concerns, cut em loose. That would put em in a bind and he may even up you to keep you:)