I cannot get last years lawnguy to call me back.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shawns Lawns, May 20, 2006.

1. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I was out the other day and a potential customer flagged me down so i stop by and his grass was not cut yet this year but his lawn was thin. He said he cannot get his lawn guy from last year to call him back and asked if i could give a quote. I gave him a quote for $25 per cut except for the first cut and i cut on a 7 day cycle. He asked ohhh can you cut once every 4 weeks cuz i don't live here in the summer i live a camp. I said no and maybe that's why you cannot get your lawn guy to call you back he's sick of working for free. Told him to have a nice day and good luck and on my way i went. :waving:

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I hear you, just be glad that he gave you verbal warning before you agreed on everything, that's the worst kind is the ones don't start with the red flags until after you've already settled on price and everything... No, actually the worst kind sneak up on you, everything's really cool for the first 2-3 visits and then the real bs starts lol.

And be glad you had the sense to say no :rolleyes:

3. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

Whenever they yell you the last guy "just quit showing up" it means RUN!

4. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I don't even question or communicate the minute I saw the house's yard...you can tell easily whether this house is the living place or not and do the owner give the s**t. Once a month? for $2 dollars:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

5. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a problem on the horizon.

I quoted this guy a price over the phone I told him $25 a cut. So he sees me working (cleaning eaves and windows next door to him) and he calls me over, at first I thought it was new estimate but it turns out I already gave him a price over the phone:hammerhead: and he just wants to point out somethings. So I see him back yard its a fricken acrage and I'm not sure why but I told him ok...

So now he's away and only his wife is home (they only want me for two months while he's away on business) I've cut it three times and it takes an hour I want more money but I am too sheepish to ask (very nice people) and I don't want to leave them in a bind. I figure next week, it will be my forth cut, I'll get her to pay me then I'll tell her she has a week to agree to at least $35 a cut with me or get another LCO and I will give her a list off ppl she could phone for quotes.

I don't want to leave her in a bind especially when its mostly my fault but I think I paid my pennance:weightlifter:

btw, I could do this property a lot faster if I had larger mowers I'll tell them that to I guess.

6. northernsvc's

northernsvc's LawnSite Member

mistakes happen you just have to suck it up, unless he lied to you over the phone about size of property

7. Freddy_Kruger

I got a feeling that when I advertise with door hangers next week I'm going to be meeting up with a lot of those types of customers, lol.:nono:

8. Freddy_Kruger

No I don't think he lied a lot of it is due to my inexperience and the wanting of work. I should know this stuff though I been running window cleaning for years and I know when I can do estimates (and they are just estimates) over the phone and when I have to actually see it. I haven't learned this lesson in lawn care yet. I got a thick head but I think about it quite a lot as I mow their lawn, lol.:dancing:

9. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

good move, you won't regret it....I hate these kind of people....

10. Wil22

Wil22 LawnSite Member

I was already having a bad day and a guy came up to me and asked
    if I would come mow his lawn ....for 15.00.

I looked at him like :dizzy:

I turned and walked away, and he yelled it's a real small yard.

Before I left the block I, I pulled up a few feet and peeked around the
    curb and the grass had 3-4 weeks growth on it.

Before Lawnsite I would of cut that if it had 8 weeks growth on it.