"I cant afford it any more"

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by new2thebiz, Jul 1, 2004.

1. new2thebiz

new2thebiz LawnSite Member

Man this sucks, Ive had two customers decide in the past week that they could not afford to have their lawn done professionally any more. that was a big deal to me too, because this is my first year in the business, and I only had 9 customers to start with! They were both very satisfied with their lawns and were great customers, they just couldnt aford to continue with my service.

Do any of you guys have problems with people deciding about half way through the season that they cant afford it and dropping you?

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Keep an eye on the property, sometimes the truth is they just found somebody cheaper.

3. rodsridentime

rodsridentime LawnSite Member

it my be your work sometimes its good to talk to them for the first mo. or so to find out what they like or how they like it cut or like green said you could of been under bid.

4. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Right on the money....

5. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

i have had people ask to go to 10day schedules or every 2 weeks, but i stick to it and say nope....ONly cut every week.

Hopefully i wont lose any this year. Never know.

Trevor

6. new2thebiz

new2thebiz LawnSite Member

I know both of these people pretty well, as they are friends of the family. I was not under bid by anyone and as I said they were both very satisfied with my work, they just though they could afford it, and then realized after a couple of months that they could not. Atleast one of them, the other lady called me the other day and wants me to start mowing for her again. After mowing it herself again a couple of times she decided to cut back on some other costs instead.

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Sometimes with friends and family, they are just trying to help you get started, and find that they really can't afford it. So I wouldn't worry about it too much. You must do a nice job if the one customer is willing to cut back on her spending elsewhere to keep you.