I can't believe some people....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Oct 2, 2003.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I just finished a yard today. I mow it every week, sometimes every ten days depending on growth. I charge her 45 bucks and it take me about an hour and ten minutes from start to finish.
    So today, as usual, I walk up to the porch and pick up a ceramic figure (that's where she leaves my check) and low and behold it's not there. HHHMMM I knock on the door. She opens door. She looks at me and smiles as she's writing out the check.
    Then, she sighs heavily and says, "When are you going to stop coming anyway?" I just stare at her for a moment and she adds, "When my husband cut the grass, he usually would have stopped by now."
    I picked this client up in the spring. So my response was.
    "So that would explain the three feet of grass that I mowed the first time." SLAM went the door.
    I waited a couple seconds and then knocked on the door again. She opened the door with a loud, "WHAT? I then, very calmly said, "When I come next week, could you park your car in the garage so that I can turn around and not have to back up 300 feet to the road?" She looked at me as if I had a lot of nerve thinking that I was actually coming back the next week but said loudly, "FINE" and slammed the door again.
    I calmly went to my truck, and left.
    I'm thinking price increase!!

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I am thinking drop the customer

3. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto. Its strange, none of my customers seem to be that way. Is Michigan a safe customer haven or something?

4. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

You know, it's wierd. All of my customers are great. Bu this one has this strange sybil like qualitiy. When you have to open the door, you never know "who" will answer!:blob2:

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Might have been her "time of the month"...who knows???

6. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

but did you get paid???

7. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

And you actually still thinking about coming back?

That another reason I only take yearly contracts, I star and stop when I know I have to.

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I am thinking ditto!!!

9. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

You won the conversation. Now's not the time to quit. She didn't put the check out because she wanted to talk to you. . .she didn't forget. Sounds like she's just a screwball and doesn't know how to tell people want she wants. Communication is the weak link here, unless she just wants to get rid of you - which would explain the behavior (but somebody that rude wouldn't have any trouble discontinuing your professional relations, which is why I say communication is the problem). She also knows you're not intimidated by her and I bet she finds a better way to communicate next time. I'd giv'er another chance as long as she does actually pay on time. Also, if she parks the car in the way next week - DUMP'ER. . .at that point it has turned into a game, not a job, and it will only get worse from there - don't even cut it because you'll have a hard time getting your money out of her.

10. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

I'd mow her the rest of the season, then next year, don't call her. If she calls you, raise the price on her. If you have to put up with her attitude, make her pay you for it.