1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I can't belive it took me this long!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by We do 4 U, Jun 27, 2002.

1. We do 4 U

We do 4 U LawnSite Member

I used my new Hustler Z for the first time yesterday and I don't know what made me wait so long to get one. I have been using a 44" gear drive toro for the last 2 years and a zrt is the why to go. I love it!

Also, a helpful hint, the grass looks a lot better and the job goes faster when you LOWER the deck BEFORE you start mowing in case you didn't know. :blush:
  2. lahanko

lahanko LawnSite Member
    from NY

So, You forgot to lower the deck, LOL.
    Done that also, feeling pretty cool and then realized I did not lower the deck.
  3. lawnrangers

lawnrangers LawnSite Member

you sound like me ,are you from tennessee also?:blush:
  4. lahanko

lahanko LawnSite Member
    from NY

I'm not from Tennessee but I am polish decent. LOL
  5. ADMowing

ADMowing LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I started my blades once on the edge of St. Aug lawn (when I first started using the Z). I lowered the deck and it kept going down (electric). I cut a big nasty mess in the corner of the yard that was WAY too low!!! So the advice about setting the deck first is GREAT advice!!!! The yard healed, but I left a note on the customer's door and felt like such a duffus!!! :rolleyes:

Good luck with the new MACHINE!

A & D
  6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

tru green mows a median by me and one blade is about 1" lower than the other two they mowed the whole 2 mile stretch this way wonder if the mex guy has noticed yet lmao
  7. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

What size deck and engine did you get? You said you had to wait for 1 to come in how long did you wait?
    Have Fun
  8. HLC

HLC LawnSite Member

About a week after I got my Hustler Z I was cutting one of my nicer lawns. It's centipede and they want it cut at 4". I unloaded the Z, set the height pin and started cutting. I made a mental note while cutting that it sure didn't look like I was taking much off. This yard never does though and I thought "It's just the drought and it hasn't grown much." When I went to drive back up on the trailer, I pressed down on the lever to raise the deck and it was still in the "stowed" position. Those familiar with the Z know what I'm talking about. Anyway, I corrected the problem and went back and re-cut. It was okay though because the Z is so much fun, I just got double the enjoyment out of one yard.
  9. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

well i lowered my deck but i for got to turn the blades on for like 30 mins and people were there and they were giving me weird looks...finaily i looked and i was like ahhh sheeeet...i felt like the biggest dumb ass.... good luck with the new machine.
  10. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

I used to have a Hustler 400 with a 72" deck which I sold years ago. I still have my 261 Hustler with a 61" deck. How do the new ones run??? I heard that they are fast 15mph. Hows the cut?Come on lets see the pictures. Not that I will be buying one soon.
    I keep my mowers in tip top shape, I guess thats why the have lasted me soon long. Heck I have an old Tanaka Hedge trimmer single blade I just used it today. I couldn't tell you how old that thing is. Still works great but........ I must say they are making them better and better.