I can't decide between exmark 36 Belt ECS or Pistol

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by frotis, Apr 30, 2010.

1. frotis

frotis LawnSite Senior Member

On the eXmark I know ECS is prefered for the hydro, but on a belt drive sometimes you have to muscle the machine around and Im not sure how easy this is with the angle of the ECS controls. This mower would not be used full time, it would be for a few gates yards.

2. FastMan

FastMan LawnSite Senior Member

I have ECS on my current belt drive. It took me some time to get used to it. As you say, sometimes it's useful to muscle the machine around, and I found the ECS controls made that tougher. Floating the deck is a tougher task too. Eventually I got a system for doing those things.

3. frotis

Is it a 36 or 48?

4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

My first W/B was a pistol grip. Replaced it the next year, even though it was in perfect condition. Just wasn't worth the physical effort required to operate it.

5. frotis

You replaced it with a ECS belt or ECS hydro?

6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Nope, sorry. I went with a T-Bar at the time. I was just commenting on how regrettable my decision was to purchase a pistol-grip.

7. FastMan

FastMan LawnSite Senior Member

36. My favorite has been Toro's T-bar. One hand operation, use the other hand to float it, horse it, swat bugs, pick your nose, scratch your balls, whatever you want.

8. 1984buzzard

1984buzzard LawnSite Member

I have owned all three: t-bar, PG & ECS
    on 36 inch mowers I like the t-bar, but not with a sulky
    PG and ECS mowers seem to be better if you use a sulky, but to answer your question, I like the ecs more than PG because when you turn away from a fence, ect with PG controls the handles can hit the fence if your not paying attention. also riding a sulky with PG controls made me hunch over to reach controls
    On 44''+ mowers, T-bar with tru trak sulkyis my fav

9. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

Ecs!!!!!!!!!!

10. Trevor8

Trevor8 LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

if you don't get the ECS your a ratard